After another year on the back burner (and hibernating in the back shed) the 37 may soon be back in the shop. When I stopped on it last year the next step was to find a 518 (46RH) transmission for it. I’d put the word out I was looking but hadn’t come up with anything.

As fate would have it, my friend who runs the machine shop I use has been bitten hard with the “I want to build a Hot Rod bug” He still hasn’t found a body (it will definitely be a Plymouth or Dodge), but knows the engine he wants……a first generation HEMI. A few months back he asked me if the mock-up Hemi (331) that is currently in the truck was complete enough to build. As it turns out I actually do have enough pieces for it to put it together less the parts you would normally replace on a rebuild (pistons, valves, cam, bearings etc).

I told him I wasn’t really interested in selling the parts, but I would trade them to him for a rebuilt 518 transmission and torque convertor. Last week he got back ahold of me and to let me know he’s getting the transmission built for me. He’s using the same shop I normally have build my transmissions so I don’t have any qualms about the quality of the transmission. He’ll be trading out engine work on the transmission builders race car so it looks like all three of us make out pretty well.

I’ve been looking at a couple of options for the OD and converter lockup and was wondering if anyone has used one of there, and their opinion of them.

http://www.hgmelectronics.com/products-compushift-controllers/csm-chrysler

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)