My initial timing is set at 15 degrees, but I have my vaccum advance hooked up to manifold vaccum which adds another 15 degrees of timing at idle. So at idle I have 30 degrees from my 15 degrees of intial timing plus the 15 degrees of timing the vaccum advance Is adding.
I am running NGK BKR5E plugs and I have all 8 of my plugs indexed and they are gapped at .045. I know my ignition is up to snuff, it's a brand new crane cams hi-6 cd ignition with a crane cams lx91 ignition coil and my plug wires are brand new taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires.
Distributer is a mopar unit built by don at fbo systems.
I agree I shouldn't be fouling plugs that easy ether, but this engine has always seemed to foul plugs easily for some reason. This engine was purchased brand new by my father in 2002 and I acquired it in 2010, it has around 20 thousand miles on it. I have done a compression test with the engine warm and carburetor all the way open and every cylinder is at 150psi. Which I am told is good for 4000 feet above sea level.
Is it possible maybe the 64 main jet and the .049 power valve channel restrictors were the culprit for fouling the plugs? I have some .063 main jets and some .045 power valve channel restrictors. I am going to put the .031 idle feed restrictors back in it tonight and see what happens, I will run the biggest idle air bleeds I have which are .072's. I'm going to order some .029 and some .030 idle feed restrictors tonight and a few different idle air bleeds. Maybe some .074's and some .076's.
There are no vaccum leaks on the engine, An my power valve is fine I checked it last night it is a quick fuel 9.5hg power valve, float level is half way up the sight glass with 6 lbs of fuel pressure at idle.
I don't know what was fouling my plugs back when I first installed this carburetor and was running the .031 idle feed restrictors. But I think adding this 2 inch spacer has leaned things down considerably, so maybe the .031 idle feed restrictors will be ok with this 2 inch spacer. I will let you guys know what happens when I install the .031 idle feed restrictors tonight. Thanks for everyones help with this.