Quote:

Just found this article on Chrysler's new exec .

Not really sure but perhaps this is promising for the new Challenger.

Quote:

from autoblog.com:
Speaking of production, Verduyn states there are no plans to produce the Challenger Concept, although a positive reaction at the Detroit show will bolster its business case.

Quote:

from MSNBC article:
To climb that mountain, LaSorda intends to boost Chrysler's sales by 1 million cars by 2010. Phase 1: next year's new-model onslaught, which will see Jeep double its offerings and Dodge return fire on the Mustang with its own retro-cool Challenger muscle car.

Interesting differences in what the two articles say... I could be wrong, but still believe the car has been approved for production... but it could still be canceled at the last minute if it is not well received by the public (not just the motorheads here... )

Here is a quote from a former Chrysler employee on Allpar...
Quote:

from Allpar.Com thread on the Challenger concept car:
(the guys at DCX are going to shoot me for the following...but here goes....)

An S1 is production intent. What this means is that the architecture of the vehicle (the way parts fit together and are assembled) is finished, the platform is finished (how the car will be assembled from a human production standpoint), and the feasability is finished (the "how the heck do we do this? portion). The only major hurdle to overcome is the production tooling (the "hard tooling") and installation in the real production plant, not the advanced manufacturing plant at Auburn Hills. The destign is also finished-what you see is what you get. The only way the car can be changed now into a 4 door is if there has been one developed concurrently with the 2 door. The only possible thing top go "wrong" is the potential (and it IS real) that final funding is not approved for production. In terms of cost-they are at the breakover point with S1. It is now "do it or don't do it" decision time. There are no other options.

To explain all the details that scream "S1" to me would take pages and I am sure that I would miss some. In general, it is the "theme" of the car-meaning how well the various legal requirements are integrated into the vehicle, how well the ergonomics are integrated (vision sight lines, etc) the completeness of the design. For example- rarely do you see working windows on a concept car (like the 1999 Charger), in these pictures, altho there COULD be removable windows, I doubt it beacuse that assumption (fixed windows) do not fit in with the other details that are present.

I am sorry I don't have more time to go into more detail...I'll try to later...

Best regards.....

--------------------

RW (Bob) Sheaves

At the moment I expect the Challenger to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) as a concept, with another unveiling later in the year as a production version. The car may have a few things to work out yet, like a front impact bumper, reverse light, Etc...

Just my opinions... I wish DCX would come out soon and formally announce that the Challenger will reach production!

XS