I don't understand the whole process, but from what I understand the Challenger is not so important in regards to the actual car, but what it represents. There is a fundimental shift in the way that the LX platform is being built on the factory line. Much smarter people than me on Allpar.com have tried to explain it, but I can't repeat how exactly they put it, so here is my explanation:

The new technology they are TRYING OUT is a way that multiple models of the same platform (LX) can be made on the same line in a manner that can be described as "Just in Time." Rather than put out a concurrant run of 5k Challengers in a row, they can make 1k, and put them out into dealers hands, and see how they do. If the Challenger (or any other LX) has high demand, they can put them through the line in the corresponding mix. So, in my understanding, they are being coy about when and how many Challengers will be produced because it really doesn't matter how many they SAY they will produce, since the overall goal is to keep that one factory running as close to %100 capacity all the time, and to sell each and every car it produces WITHOUT incentives.

The whole technique that DCX is trying out is MUCH more important to the company than the Challenger itself. However, getting the Challenger out is a proof of concept, and if it works, it means very very good things for DCX and the possibility of new and exciting models in the future (and even possibly mid year models and improvements).