Quote:

The 300 is bread and butter, but that doesn't mean it costs less to produce. Could DCX decide to jack the price up to make a lot of profit per car? Sure. But I doubt they want to have their own version of the new GTO. I think of it this way, does it make more sense to sell 7,000 cars at $5000 profit or 25,000 cars at $3000 profit? Remember that the production number released isn't something set in stone. Plus, rebates later on are NOT how DCX wants to sell cars. That means little profit later on. Not good for the company in the long run. I will take bets now and say that the Challenger will NOT cost anymore than a similarly equipped Charger. maybe if enough people call my bet, I can get a Challenger for free!!!

I'm not talking about cost of production. I'm saying that if the supply is perceived by the customer to be small, people will spend an extra 2k to get the car they want. So for the limited production, if they make 5k vs. 3k per car, they are golden. If later they give a 2k rebate or mark it down the following year, they still make the original 3k just like the markup of the 300(in this example). If they see a huge demand at the car shows, I could see them playing this inital "limited" production to the hilt.

In the case of the GTO, I think two mistakes were made. They marked the car up too much(way more than 2k) and they misread the market for the perceived demand. Not to mention it looked like a jellybean. Did they ever mention whether or not it was going to be a limited production?

The Bird Some are wise, and some are otherwise... Say what you want, but in the end, it is what it is...