Quote:

Quote:

I would build the 512" stroker with the 24cc dished pistons for compression in the high 9's to very low 10's for pump fuel. The engine will have so much torque, you will want the 3.55 or 3.54:1 gears. The Strange S60 is pretty well priced. I did not like the hardware they provided for the flange to brake backing plates, but that's about it. Changing axles, you will need a shorter driveshaft.
I would just run the 8-3/4" until it needs replaced, then upgrade.
12's will be pretty easy to run if you get traction. A 750 cfm carb would be OK on the street, but for the strip, I would be looking for 950cfm and larger carb. 1-7/8" headers minimum.
Cam selection will depend more on how quick you want to be at the strip. Use a 3-bolt timing set, even if you run a hydraulic flat tappet cam, then you can use it if you change to a roller. For a mild cam, I would use something like the Comp XR286 Solid Roller with 248/254@ 0.050" duration.

Why high nines or low tens for pump gas? Aren't we getting away with 10.5-11.0 on 91? Or are you saying stay lower than that with due to more cranking PSI caused by a more "streetable cam" ?

For a 512" street car, 3.55:1 gear, and 4-speed, I was being conservative on compression ratio for a few reasons. One is the chambers of the RPM and Stealth heads do not have as much quench area as the small chamber heads like the Victor or B1 B/S, also the spark plug location of the Stealth has not been relocated closer to the chamber center like the other heads. They may also want to use a really mild cam less than 240 @ 0.050"?, the 512 will still have plenty of torque because of its size, the engine will be more tolerant if using lower octane fuel.
The 24cc dish pistons on a 512, zero deck, 0.040" quench (head gasket) with 84cc heads is still 9.88:1 compression. The 17cc dish pistons are 10.44:1, and the flat tops with 4cc valve reliefs is 11.69:1 compression. Of course you can always get custom dish pistons for extra $$$.

I used 84cc for the head chamber size, because that is the RPM and old Stealth size. The new Stealth heads are reported to be 80cc? so that would bump the 9.88:1 compression to 10.19:1.
The dynamic compression with something like the Solid roller Comp XR286R should have a dynamic compression around 7.3:1 to 7.5:1 depending on the actual compression ratio, cam installed centerline, and valve lash.

One thing of note is that the block had been milled to set the piston even with the deck so quench equals gasket thickness, If the piston is setting below the deck or using thicker gaskets, you loose much of the quench benefits.

FWIW, I have ran my 12:1 compression 500" stroker on pump premimum on the street (I use race gas at the track to be safe), but it has smaller chamber heads, a 0.714" lift roller cam (dynamic compression is only 7.45:1) , high stall converter, 4.10:1 gears (was 3.91:1), and I run a 160 thermostat, and I am at 6,000 ft altitude. A part of running high compression on pump gas is keeping the engine and incoming air cool, and having a good tune.