Quote:

Quote:

What the smaller cube people don't seem to take into account IMHO when they quote the "same" or similar HP and torque numbers as the 500 cube combos is the fact that it takes more compression and RPM to hit those numbers. That means finding gas that it will be happy with might become a challenge IF you were to push the envelope more towards a max effort.

It also means having to spin it up to 6800+ to get that peak number and being as this looks more like a street brawler than a track car, how often will you really get to do that without attracting the "wrong" kind of attention. Also the kind of cam it will take to make those 500 cube numbers while fun at first might get old a little quicker than some will admit.

Will Stealths support 500 cubes? Depends on how high you intend to spin it. What they will support is the same HP number a 470 will at less RPM. To use my arbitrary 500 @ 6800 number for the 470, the 500 combo should hit the same number at say 5000 and the torque curve will be proportionately lower as well.

What that means in the real world is that at basically a dead idle you could side step the clutch, smash the throttle to the rug and watch the back of the car disappear in a cloud of tire smoke. With 3.23 gears. Torque is your friend.

To use my own 8.9:1 combo and assuming your B-body is 3800 lbs you could be running mid 12.Oh's on regular gas and a reasonably power brake friendly cam.

You said you were going with an 18 spline and a Dana too. Nice upgrades but unless you have them already or intend a lot of track time with DOT slicks or better I would spend some of that money having Modern or Dwayne Porter optimize your Stealths. The tires will be the fuse that will protect your driveline. Dwayne would also be the go to guy to spec you the "right" cam for your project.

Kevin

When looking at HP only, you make good points, Kevin. However, there is another side to the 500" coin. SHORT PISTONS with OIL SUPPORT RINGS. Source uses a 1.12 ht. piston for goodness sake! Not that it cant work, it will.... but for a street motor that is going to see mostly low RPM use, Its not the way I would go. The longevity OR reliability of a 500" short block won't be what a similarly built 470 would. The guys goals are low 12 second street car for goodness sake. Building a 500 cube short block that requires oil support rings for this desired performance level does not make sense to me. Besides, its not like 470 cubes is small. It would still be the biggest mill at most any cruise night burger stand.

My : 1)470 2)451

My little 470 is a hoot to drive around and race and even w/275-280 @.050 duration, 8" vert and 1050 dommy, it idles and drives fine and doesn`t overheat..........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....