Quote:

This is to the folks at RMS and XV:

Have you considered offering aero effects for the older Mopars? Suspension is all about stability and aerodynamics affect stability a heck of a lot.

The 71-up B bodies and all E-bodies were pretty aerodynamic for their day, but the right ground effects would really help stabilize them at high speeds. As far as I know the only option I have as a 71 Satellite/RR owner is the original eyebrow spoilers, which seem to do very little. If a company offered good looking front and rear spoilers for my car, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. The same goes for rear window louvers.

And as a corrollary to the above, if anyone knows of good aero effects for these cars that are already being offered, please let me know.

- Jim

From the 69 Car Life Spoiler Test article on a 69 Camaro, Javalin, and GTO the front end lifting is the biggest problem. All the cars then had a nose up front side profile. That traps air under the front and lifts the front. NOTE: this was real well ran test. Had well thought out cables to measure suspension travel. Pretty involved for it's day.

From the tests the sedan Camaro with it's notchback and flat trunk did well to not lift the rear. That car is like E-bodies and most 63-70 B-bodies. When they added the rear spoiler only the back had good downforce but in turn it pushed the nose up. They concluded the stock 69 Front spoiler only was the best deal.

But that 69 Camaro spoiler is not that big. Not like a 71 Charger or 69-70 Mustang type. I'd shoot for something those two cars had or bigger like the Trans Am cars had.

The Kammback and fastback profiled 69 Javelin and 69 GTO had rear end lift above 60 mph. And also front lift without a spoiler. The rear spoilers on those stunk and didn't do anything. Those two car are like 71-74 Ply B-bodies, 67-69 Barracuda Fastbacks, 66-67 Chargers and Duster/Demons.

I think a ducktail spoiler on those fastback type cars like the one Direct Connection sold once for Duster/Demons would help. Also 67 Charger had problems in Nascar with rear lift and they homogated a rear ducktail that came on the hemi cars.

Key thing about front spoilers is to make them out of ABS. Fiberglass ones crack and will always hit driveways and curbs.

This is the spoiler pictured below is modeled after one Dean Jefferies made and was used on the Ontario Speedway 70 Challenger Pace Car. It's like the race Trans Am ones. I think it's a lot more effective than a stock 69 Camaro front spoiler.

It's also huge PITA. Al's had this on his car for years. And had it repaired many times. And he babies it like none other. Not very fun to live with. Now if it were ABS that would change everything. The guy who did these fiberglass ones in the early 90's? made them for Challengers and 70 Chargers, IIRC.