Quote:

I too have the 108cl 284/484 cam in a built 383.(12.5 trw's w/ported 906's,RPM intake,1 7/8 headers,PTC 3000 converter) I've been trying to get it to run better for the past couple summers and have only been able to pull around 9-10in of vacummn at idle (6-7 in gear)and still have terrible power brakes! I think some of the problem's is in the carb but one major inprovement's came from yanking one of the dizzy springs out completly! Atleast now its a million times more responsive than it was. I have no idea were the timing is at, I've been retarding it more and more and it actully runs stronger and stronger! Bottom end is better than it was too! I know I need more gear as its only got the 3.54's in it.
I think next Im going to step up to a 850dp holley and try that instead of the 750 vacummn sec. one on there.

I plan to keep tuning on it over the summer.
Over-all its not a bad cam to run............but there's got to be better one's.

I'm going to suggest that after reading your tuning description you have alot bigger problems to worry about than a cam swap....
"No idea where the timing is at" and "yanking one of the dizzy springs out completely" isn't the way to tune a car to judge the performance of a camshaft, IMO.

A true 12.5 to 1 compression 383 with a smallish hydraulic cam and you don't KNOW where your timing is..?

I'm surprised you drive the car without digging in and fixing the obvious tuning problems first....

CrAzYMoPaRGuY