Quote:

The 284 -292 all pull like crazy on upper end and are good race cams they are not good on the street.

Mine were all good on the street, every single one. My buddies cars that ran on the street were excellent drivability too?

Quote:

I know as I drove one for close to 20 years.

We have alot more than 20 years under our belt, and alot more cams than just one. Maybe it's your setup, or tuning, cam install, etc etc?

Quote:

The 292 and 284 are lucky to get 8-10mpg on a good day.

I musta had alot of "good days", cause every 484/284 I ran got pretty impressive gas mileage. My Demon got better than 8-10mpg when driven mildly, and that's with gears, tunnel ram, two four barrels, etc etc...

Quote:

As I said use them if you got them but face facts the new generation of cams are far better.

I don't have enough experience with the new flat tappet hydraulics to give any great insight here, but I would hope in 30 years of advancing technology some gains could be noted. I'm pretty sure when you suggest a 484 will get "8-10mpg on a good day", and that your similar specs Racer Brown cam gets a "legit 14mpg", I have to wonder how you achieve an extra 4-6 mpg just with a cam swap from very similar grinds. It's not possible IMO, but if you believe it- I'm not here to rain on your parade. A few tenths sure, but not a 50% increase in gas mileage, IMO anyways...

Why stick with ANY flat tappet hydraulic cam if technology and mileage are what you are after anyways- isn't ANY hydraulic cam nowadays a "dinosaur"? No zinc in the oils lately only compounds the problem..
A hydraulic roller would be the way to go over any flat tappet hydraulic cam nowadays IMO. Why compromise?

Quote:

And with fuel at $4.30 a gallon I still want to drive my car just my 10 cents

I drive all my cars at $5.00 a gallon, I think you would be better looking at EFI and hydraulic roller cams (or a 4 speed auto/OD tranny) than a different hydraulic flat tappet for gas mileage worries, IMO anyways??

CrAzYMoPaRGuY