Quote:

All I can say is if you had a doooog with a 484 or a 509 you had other issues. I've used many in both small blocks and big blocks with bone stock bottm ends and they screamed. The last was a 68 dart with a 508 stock bottom end, stock heads with a good intake carb ign etc. went 12.40's all day long in 90 degree heat and a stock convertor with 3.91's, with street tires and full exhaust. Maybe you need a new tuner?

yeah maybe small block what? comparing a small block to a big block is silly. Typically 340's don't starting running well until 2500-3000 rpm. So one of those cams would work better in a SB. You had 3.91's so you'll get to the rpms quicker. if you had 3.23's in the car it would have been a dog, also if you had a more modern split duration cam in the car it'd run better too. Would my 2 cars do cool burn-outs?? yeah but those cams weren't designed for mild street applications. Funny cam swap only dropped me over a 1/2 second and had much better throttle response and created a longer powerband.
I had a well worked 383 in a 68 dart that I used a 509 in. That car ran great 11.80's but it was far from a mild street engine and the car had 4.30's and a bunch of other goodies.