I think I'm one of the guys who would rather replace a converter than a cam, too. Maybe that's because it seems easier to work under an A-body than under the hood of one with a 440 up front.

My setup was far from "optimal" in the sense that it wasn't going to get the quickest quarter mile times, and it wasn't perfect to live with 100% of the time, but it WAS pretty easy to drive on the street. The engine was/is a 73 HP unit with stock replacement pistons, i.e., way down in the hole. I'm thinking 8:1 is hopefull... Intake was an OEM iron unit from 68, and exhaust was the good old Hooker fenderwell units in 1-7/8", gears were 3.23's, and the converter was a super tight 11". Idle in neutral was about 1000rpm and maybe 12" of vacuum; idle in gear was 750-800rpm and maybe 8" of vacuum.

Was the bottom end a little softer than with a Magnum/Super Commando cam? Probably, and thankfully so. I still had to feather-foot the car out of the hole to get it moving quickly, and any type of acceleration contest was better attempted from a roll. It was great for impressing my friends, though. Tire spin? No problem. Hang the tail out? A quick half-throttle got you there. I knew I needed a looser converter, but I just knew there would be a lot more "sit-n-spin" going on if I did change it out.

Clair