I've been doing some research about this recently, and I think it's very feasible. I can also foresee more demand for something like this as the supply of RH transmissions start to dry up. This controller would allow any vehicle to run an RE transmission.

Work won't begin on this for another couple months as I want to get the fan controller going well first, but I would like to get everything figured out for this in the meantime.

Quote:

The governor pressure sensor measures output pressure of the governor pressure solenoid valve. This feedback is needed by the PCM to accurately control pressure. The unit is an absolute pressure device and the output is calibrated to be .35 to .65 volts at 14.7 psi (normal barometric pressure).

The (governor pressure) solenoid valve regulates line pressure to produce governor pressure. The average current supplied to the solenoid valve controls governor pressure. One amp current produces zero psi governor pressure. Zero amps sets the maximum governor pressure.

The purpose of the transmission temperature sensor is to provide transmission fluid temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses this information to control engagement of the fourth gear overdrive clutch, the converter clutch, and governor pressure. The normal resistance value for the thermistor at room temperature is approximately 1000 ohms for transmissions built prior to the 2002 model year. The resistance value for late model transmissions has been increased to 2000 ohms.

From what I understand, the governor pressure just controls the shift timing in association with the TV cable, and is otherwise regulated to 1psi/1mph. The actual shifting from 1-2, and 2-3 is handled hydraulically by the transmission; there aren't shift solenoids I would need to control. There are also 4 different governor pressure curves depending on the temperature of the fluid, WOT, or if the tcase is in 4LO. I found a little information about these in the manual I have. Does anyone have specific details of what these are, or what they should be?

So, I think all the controller has to do is take the speedometer signal as an input, then use feedback to control the governor pressure. Add some more logic to control overdrive and lock up, and it should work pretty well. I came across some information in a 46RE manual about how to calibrate the pressure sensor, and it's rather straightforward. I believe the controller would also need manifold vacuum input to get the engine load.

As for the speed input, the RE trans I have has an electronic output that I can read just fine. The RH I have is a 4wd model, and I don't have the tcase to know whether it's also electronic, or if it drives a cable. To swap this into an older vehicle I may need to make another box that takes the electronic speedo signal and then spins the speedo cable accordingly. There's one company making this already, but it isn't cheap.

The pinout of the connector on the trans should include the following, probably with a power and ground as well.
Trans fluid temp sensor
Governor pressure sensor
Governor pressure solenoid
O/D (3-4) Shift Solenoid
TCC Solenoid
Output Speed Sensor
Park/Neutral Switch

Does anyone know exactly which pin is which? From the looks of the replacement parts on ebay, I can get one and then figure out which pin goes where. Also, does anyone know the part number of the matching connector for the body side of the harness (or if it's even available)?

I'm kinda aiming for a price point around $500. If there's sufficient interest I'll continue and see what I can come up with

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.