Quote:

The factory transmission controller uses a signal from the TPS but I don't think that would be necessary for a stand-alone controller, all the transmission needs is a governor pressure signal and commands to lockup the converter and engage the OD. The RH conversions that use pressure switches on the governor pressure test port function by road speed and I think a stand-alone controller could too.

The major challenge, as I see it, is to determine what voltage equates to what governor pressure and how many pulses from the output shaft speed sensor equate to what road speed.

Exactly. The mechanical governor increases the output pressure according to road speed. Knowing the stock pulses/mile I can convert that to a road speed, then I use feedback to make the governor pressure match according to the chosen curve. Of course the nifty thing is that relationship (governor pressure to road speed) can be changed on the fly and/or customized by the user.

Wouldn't it also be handy to have a sensor for line pressure as well? Or at least a way to account for higher than stock line pressures?

An RH controller would just have to read the governor pressure and manifold pressure, then allow the user to change the pressure/vacuum points to control when LU and OD occur.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.