Quote:

Build sheet is the ONLY proof of these valuable options:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

These three items can make anywhere between $10k-$30k price diff than those cars w/o those options (compared to automatic-equipped cars for ex.).

Actually, aren't these on the fender tag? The tag on my '69 Charger tells me what transmision, the color of the car, what color stripe, A/C, etc.

Here is a different perspective...let's say Chrysler had kept excellent records. With just a phone call to Chrysler and your VIN they could provide you with an exact duplicate of your build sheet. Wouldn't you want a nice, new, crisp one even if you had the crumbly old original? I would. From what it sounds like, that is the service Dave wants to provide, the only problem is there are no such records. Dave's solution to maintain the "credibilty" of duplicate sheets was to limit new copies to only those who have originals. (Unfortunately, most of us don't. )

I don't think that duplicates made under these guidelines would be a bad thing. I think the problem arises when someone else starts to make duplicates, and they don't have the same integrity as Dave and ECS. Now we can't tell legitamate "dupicates" from just plain bogus sheets. Unless ECS would have a number to call to verify whether a suspect sheet is an authorized copy or not, 99% of us wouldn't be able to tell if it's legit or bogus. The smart shopper would have to assume it's a bogus sheet, and so what benefit to the seller would that be? Whether Dave decides to make them or not, I sure others will. I'm sure they have been for years. Personally, if I wanted a duplicate, I'd rather have mine done by a reputible company like ECS seems to be...