Quote:

I think there are a lot of greater issues out there in our hobby today that we should worry more about than reproduction broadcast sheets. What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth. After your verify the vin, you look at body numbers (applicable by year). This is where you can open up a very large can of worms. I have personally witnessed very rare and expensive cars back halfed, body swapped, call it what you want due to rust, etc. What's worth more? A completely numbers matching '70 'Cuda 440-6bbl Convertible with a broadcast sheet, matching drivetrain, body numbers, fender tage etc. that has had a complete body swap or an original with no broadcast sheet? After purchasing the afforementioned car and finding out that it was a body swap, etc., now it seems that there is a completely different perceived value than prior to purchasing? I am of the opinion that when you replace a certain percentage of original sheet metal, that the original car ceases to exist and should live the rest of it's life with an asterisk!

We have individuals filing down id pads and stamping matching numbers. There are others selling titles along with the VIN plate and fender tags. There is already someone selling re-pop broadcast sheets that look like they are 40+ years old on Ebay, etc. etc. etc.

To me, this is the low man on the totem pole in my eyes. There are enough enthusiast's out there that will hopefully work together to keep us aware of the cars that have been altered, swapped, etc. I have had the pleasure to deal with a ton of really great people in our community, but like anything else in life, there are always a few bad eggs to stay away from. It is from these situations that we learn who we can trust and who to stay away from. I am in it for the love of these cars. I buy a car, restore it, and move on the the next one. The only ones that I feel are going to get hurt by this are top 10% dealing with Hemi's etc. and those who are flipping them.

Lastly, it is my opinion that the broadcast sheet is a nice piece to have and does ad intrinsic value. However, the lack of a broadcast sheet doesn't mean a car is worth any less as long as the rest of the important parts are there along with any other documentation that goes along with said vehicle. In the end it all comes down to "Caveat Emptor" Buyer Beware

!

I am only responding to the bolded areas of your posts as the rest of it has to do with the rebody debate which has been beat to death, and i don't want to see this thread side tracked.

Of course as from my previous post I agree with this.

Yes, there is MUCH more to be concerned about when looking to purchase one of these old cars and the BCS should be one of the last considerations.

How many people will ignor buying a car because it has no sheet?

How many people will not buy an L.A. built car that the vast majority of them had no sheet?

Is this fair to slight a car for not having something that the factory never intentionally ment to leave in the car in the first place?

Regarding the valuation of a BCS how do you determine if it is an ADDED value if it has one vs. a DEDUCTION if it doesn't have one?

To me the simple answer to the above questions is ELIMINATE the value of it completely and let the V.I.N. and known factory indicators of the individual car speak for themselves.