Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth.

The first thing? Maybe so, but it's just the beginning. The next thing you'd need to do is determine if it's the original VIN tag or not. Even then all the VIN tag will tell you are the basics, Model-Engine-Plant-Model Year- Sequence Number, that's it!

It tells you NOTHING about the other options that the car originally had, not even the most basic options like transmission or body color, and sometimes a single option can drastically change the level of interest/desirability/value, etc. that the car might garner.

I am with you Scott, I found a 69 HEMI road runner in a cow pasture years ago. it had the vin tag, but the under hood tag had bean removed, the drive train was ALL missing, along with the hood and K-member and interior, I could see the cars original color and it had a shifter on the column, but it was very hard for me anyway to justify purchasing the car with little to go on as far as how the car was optioned, a short time later the owner found the under hood tag, I bought the car and now it is being restored, with the price of a restoration these day's it would be very hard to justify buying all of the parts needed to save this car, my point is the vin told me what the basic car was, but as Scott pointed out, It would be hard to tell everything the car was originally without the tag. I know a Hemi car changes the mindset a bit because there is more potential money in the end if a person was ever to sell it, but any car that you want to truly restore would need more than just the vin IMO. as far as the build sheet goes. I think copies should be made for 50 cents on a copy machine, Rich

Your example above is a PERFECT example of what i have been saying.

You knew from the V.I.N. and the inspection of the car that it was a Hemi column automatic which accounts for 90% or more of the cars value or potential value. The fender tag and broadcast sheet will tell you what options it had but again, those options if not present that have to be purchased and added by you or a dealer when it was new cost more than they add to the value of the car. Some people want them some don't. They are all bolt on items anyway so what is the big deal? If you can't PROVE they were born on the car remove them.

I would have NEVER passed on purchasing that car based on it not having the fender tag as you described it. Was it a Lynch Rd. Built car? If so, the FT was going to have very little info on it anyway.

People often loose sight of the big picture getting caught up in the details.