Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But what if a pump dies a 'slow' death, or output starts to quickly drop off, over a few seconds? This could cause a big problem for an engine under boost or N2O, not so much for an NA car. Mad Dart's idea would give an attentive driver a *small* window of opportunity to get off the throttle and maybe limp home. On the flip side, he has 2x as many pumps that might fail.

Not trying to be argumentative, just to understand. (I've had an EFI engine stutter for 2-3 secs due to insufficient fuel, while driving, and it didn't shut off).

Yes a Fuel Pressure gauge is one of your most crucial gauges when running boost and/or EFI.
Insufficient Fuel= Getting Fuel but not enough which will eventually and very quickly generate a Lean condition Roaching a Piston, Head Gasket, etc etc ESPECIALLY so in a Boosted or N2O application.

Dead Fuel Pump= No Fuel, So at worst it shuts down and you're walking home with the expense of replacing a Fuel Pump not a toasted engine.

To cover just about all the WHAT IF scenarios that have been brought up. Use a Mechanical/Belt driven pump bigger than you really need. It's either going to work or it isn't. NONE of the Starting to Fail or cutting out which electric pumps like to do.

I think the bottom line is that you need to be smart on the data logging capability and have a channel dedicated to fuel pressure. I was able to identify a weak pump on the dyno and stopped upping the boost until I replaced the pump.

Allan G.