As I was working on the rebuild of my 727 tonight, I realized that I will end up hounding you guys with multiple posts. Rather than doing that I will ask a simple favor of you trans gurus out there. Could you stick with me this week while I get this thing together and just keep checking this post for questions? That way I can confine things to one thread. I would be very thankful and I believe that it will be helpful to other guys down the road.

Here's what I started with. Starting with a B engine 1975 727 TF, Munroe's transmission manual, dial gauge, dial caliper, snap ring pliers, medium and large C clamps, dead blow hammer air wrench, picks, and typical shop tools. Lots of clean shop rags.

I gutted the trans system by system using Munroe as a guide. Rather than use slide hammers to remove the front pump, I whacked at it from behind using a long socket extension. Worked great. Thank you moparts... I used the large C clamp to compress the springs on the accumulators to get the C clips out and pull them out of the body. Worked great.

Now on to the inspection and cleaning phase.
The accumulator bores look good. The rear clutch sprag was very tight in the race. Yes, I unloosened the set screw. Monroe said to loosen the set screw and then use a small drift to tap the sprag out from behind. It took some coaxing but it came out, however, the backing plate/retainer got tweaked by my drift.

HERE COME THE QUESTIONS!

Was Monroe drunk when he wrote that or did I use to small of a drift? So what shall I do here, guys? the plate still sits against the sprag pretty flush. do I flatten out the dimples made by my drift? Grind them out? Buy a new backing plate/retainer? Look at the face of the backing plate. See the bearing wear? should I replace this?

Take a look at the sprag. The little dowel bearings are in perfect shape as are the springs. Is this sprag okay? It's got some shiny wear spots but I can see all the groves in the cam.

I am now ready to clean the case and tail shaft and continue inspecting and cleaning. What do I use for solvent? is mineral spirits okay? Lacquer thinner?

Monroe suggests bead blasting the case but to rinse it out THOROUGHLY. I won't blast the interior but the exterior would be nice. What's your take? I was a bit surprised he suggested it.

What do you use for assembly lube?

I bought my rebuild kit from PTC. It came with 8 different bushings. So far my bushings are looking very clean and smooth. Do I forgo replacing the smooth ones or do I replace them all while I have it apart? Is there a good way to get them out without a bushing removal tool?

I know that's a lot of questions. Answer all you can and help me get this thing back together by Sunday!

This time of year most guys up here bag an elk and pose with it. I gutted a Torqueflight!

Last edited by Big Bad Bee; 09/22/14 01:03 AM.