Today was a short one but a productive one with the tranny. I worked on the front clutch retainer/input shaft assembly and carefully inspected all the splines, sealing surfaces, guide channels, lip seal groves and and the bushing for wear, resurfaced the pressure plates with 120 grit and cleaned everything up real good in the mineral spirit bathtub. Happy to say, that the whole thing looked great and I don't foresee any replacement other than the seals. I realized after it was pointed out by a moparts member that my high drum was scored, that as I tear down each assembly, I need to see how all the bearing, bushing, guide and ring surfaces work together and look at them all with care. It's fun!

Next I tore down the pump pulling all the seals. This too made me smile. the pump gear and ring look to be in good shape and I measured them with a feeler gauge. Gear gap is okay. So is the space between the ring and the race it sits in, and the height of the ring and center gears.

The pump looks really nice in the bore.

Try as I might, I couldn't figure out where the seam in the pump bushing was. Gave it several whacks with the corner of a sharp little cold chisel. I was tapping around the edge trying to be patient and I couldn't get it to budge. Then I got an idea. The old tail piece bushing is almost the same size. I lined the edge of the tail bushing with the edge on one side of the pump bushing and gave it a whack. BINGO! Easy peazy. I just moved around the lip of the pump bushing whacking the tail bushing and it was out in a flash. I'll load the new bushing tomorrow, clean it all up and move on to the reverse drum. My pile of clean parts is growing.

after making about 10 grooves in this bearing and not budging it, I smacked it with the tail bushing. Happy day...

I was wondering what one of the guys posting here was talking about on peening this bearing over. Here you can see that there are two C shaped notches where the bearing should be peened outword. I am assuming that this helps it from failing and spinning with the torque converter

I’m listening.