Okay back to business. I'm ready to start removing and replacing bushings as I clean and reassemble my transmission sub-assemblies. I've got a few different opinions here on which ones to replace but since I have an entire bushing kit why not replace them all?

Obviously I don't want to bung something up here, and I'd rather not buy an expensive tool, so give me your methods. I've seen people use everything from 2 x 4's to sockets to drive bushings. The only specialized tool I have right now is a bushing and bearing race driver kit that I checked out from the local O'Reilly's auto-parts store. It has the tapered disks to accommodate wheel bearing races.

Removal: how? Is it okay to remove them with the drift? A socket? The bushing driver? How do I know which direction the bushing drives out?

Insertion: is that tool from O'Reillys going to be okay? There are small bushings I don't have the right size disc for. can I tap them in using the backside of a socket or something similar? Do you lubricate The outside sleeve of the bushing and the mating surface on the part it is inserted into?

All of the surfaces inside the rear drum are looking excellent, however the outside of the drum has a few little brown spots where it looks like band material is stuck to it. how do I clean this up? Emery cloth? 0000 steel wool?

I’m listening.