PC, that's a great looking stand!

..necessity is the mother of invention...

It got the job done, but I am no further in solving my endplay issue than yesterday night. Just to clarify, I did pull the entire assembly apart to check for stupidity. All is correct. Note: I did check the endplay in the output shaft between the front C clip and the stop behind the back planetary retainer before I installed the output shaft and it was dead nuts on. I checked and rechecked the drums till I was blue in the face. solid "Clunk" against their mating surfaces. Even wiped the thrust washer and mating surface to see if they were making contact. All spins freely. Sprag works great.

I put the gasket and pump back on and didn't bolt it in. just used gravity. zero endplay. Then I got wise and took a couple O rings that are 1/8" thick, gooped them with lube and stuck them on the case to pump mating surface and slid the pump back on so that the reaction shaft mated with the front drum bushing and slipped into it's groove in the case. Result? No end play. couldn't get a grip on the sucker enough to pull the drums forward.

What I think is happening is that the front drum and reaction shaft mating surfaces are so tight I can't pull and push on the sucker. I did check to see if the drum will spin freely on the reaction shaft and it does. I am just wondering if all that vaseline and tight tolerance is causing enough suction that it's not gonna budge till break in.

I am definitely beyond my ability on this one. It's kicked my butt. What do you think about my theory? I'm wondering how I can rig up a way to grip the input shaft strong enough to check endplay but not damage the teeth.

I’m listening.