09/18/14 03:42 AM
09/18/14 03:42 AM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
As I was working on the rebuild of my 727 tonight, I realized that I will end up hounding you guys with multiple posts. Rather than doing that I will ask a simple favor of you trans gurus out there. Could you stick with me this week while I get this thing together and just keep checking this post for questions? That way I can confine things to one thread. I would be very thankful and I believe that it will be helpful to other guys down the road.

Here's what I started with. Starting with a B engine 1975 727 TF, Munroe's transmission manual, dial gauge, dial caliper, snap ring pliers, medium and large C clamps, dead blow hammer air wrench, picks, and typical shop tools. Lots of clean shop rags.

I gutted the trans system by system using Munroe as a guide. Rather than use slide hammers to remove the front pump, I whacked at it from behind using a long socket extension. Worked great. Thank you moparts... I used the large C clamp to compress the springs on the accumulators to get the C clips out and pull them out of the body. Worked great.

Now on to the inspection and cleaning phase.
The accumulator bores look good. The rear clutch sprag was very tight in the race. Yes, I unloosened the set screw. Monroe said to loosen the set screw and then use a small drift to tap the sprag out from behind. It took some coaxing but it came out, however, the backing plate/retainer got tweaked by my drift.

HERE COME THE QUESTIONS!

Was Monroe drunk when he wrote that or did I use to small of a drift? So what shall I do here, guys? the plate still sits against the sprag pretty flush. do I flatten out the dimples made by my drift? Grind them out? Buy a new backing plate/retainer? Look at the face of the backing plate. See the bearing wear? should I replace this?

Take a look at the sprag. The little dowel bearings are in perfect shape as are the springs. Is this sprag okay? It's got some shiny wear spots but I can see all the groves in the cam.

I am now ready to clean the case and tail shaft and continue inspecting and cleaning. What do I use for solvent? is mineral spirits okay? Lacquer thinner?

Monroe suggests bead blasting the case but to rinse it out THOROUGHLY. I won't blast the interior but the exterior would be nice. What's your take? I was a bit surprised he suggested it.

What do you use for assembly lube?

I bought my rebuild kit from PTC. It came with 8 different bushings. So far my bushings are looking very clean and smooth. Do I forgo replacing the smooth ones or do I replace them all while I have it apart? Is there a good way to get them out without a bushing removal tool?

I know that's a lot of questions. Answer all you can and help me get this thing back together by Sunday!

This time of year most guys up here bag an elk and pose with it. I gutted a Torqueflight!

Last edited by Big Bad Bee; 09/22/14 01:03 AM.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673408
09/18/14 07:52 AM
09/18/14 07:52 AM
Norrland, Sweden
Swedcharger67 Offline
enthusiast
Swedcharger67  Offline
enthusiast

Norrland, Sweden
I would just flatten out the dimples made by the drift. Looks pretty good IMHO.
I had to modify my backing plate/retainer significantly more due to the installation of a thrust bearing.

Martin, 67 Charger, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition & injection
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Swedcharger67] #1673409
09/18/14 11:02 AM
09/18/14 11:02 AM
Mass.
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar

Mass.
I'd just replace the sprag since you removed it. Those are only like $15 I believe. I wouldn't waste the $100 on a bolt-in.

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: 80fbody] #1673410
09/18/14 11:24 AM
09/18/14 11:24 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I'd just replace the sprag since you removed it. Those are only like $15 I believe. I wouldn't waste the $100 on a bolt-in.

Almost correct here .

First off you should have NOT removed the sparg unless it was loose in the case or the outer race was damaged. It's junk now throw it in the scrap pile.

Buying the standard bolt in is a waste of money as it does nothing to prevent the rollers from laying over, and now that you have driven out a perfectly good sprag putting in a stock press in isn't going to be as strong as the factory unit. Call Cope, or Coan, and buy the SUPER/Ultimate Sprag.... yes it's $200ish ..., it has more rollers and can't roll over and it's a bolt in. I suggest this one because I'm sure you aren't going to put a Billet front drum ... over $500 ... in it which is more expensive than the Super Sprag .

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: JohnRR] #1673411
09/18/14 01:52 PM
09/18/14 01:52 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont

Add the billet drum if you can. Trans will now be as close to bulletproof as is possible. Don't fall into the "my engine doesn't make enough power" trap. A stone stock 318 is capable of exploding a stock drum.

Kevin

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: JohnRR] #1673412
09/18/14 02:01 PM
09/18/14 02:01 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

Quote:

Almost correct here .

First off you should have NOT removed the sparg unless it was loose in the case or the outer race was damaged. It's junk now throw it in the scrap pile.

Buying the standard bolt in is a waste of money as it does nothing to prevent the rollers from laying over, and now that you have driven out a perfectly good sprag putting in a stock press in isn't going to be as strong as the factory unit. Call Cope, or Coan, and buy the SUPER/Ultimate Sprag.... yes it's $200ish ..., it has more rollers and can't roll over and it's a bolt in. I suggest this one because I'm sure you aren't going to put a Billet front drum ... over $500 ... in it which is more expensive than the Super Sprag .

What?
Everyone here said to buy Munroe's manual and follow it to the letter. He says to knock the sprag out and inspect it. This is a $200 mistake???

What solvent? What lube? Glass bead blasting?

Last edited by Big Bad Bee; 09/22/14 01:05 AM.

I’m listening.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Twostick] #1673413
09/18/14 02:07 PM
09/18/14 02:07 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Since you will be beating on this,I want you to meet your new friend http://www.tcsproducts.com/

Supersprag,steel planets,billit drum and a shield should be in your future!

8273876-8.27.11(5).JPG (543 downloads)

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673414
09/18/14 03:06 PM
09/18/14 03:06 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Almost correct here .

What?
Everyone here said to buy Monroe's manual and follow it to the letter. He says to knock the sprag out and inspect it. This is a $200 mistake???

What solvent? What lube? Glass bead blasting?

I have Monroe's manual , but I get bored reading so I just look at the pictures . One doesn't need to remove it to inspect it.

As far as the $200 mistake , how much is your feet or the car really worth? The $200 is the cheapest way to make the trans safer. In a street car I would put in the super/ultimate sprag , you won't make it fail so the drum will never overspeed , if your were building an 800HP tire shredding monster then the sprag and the drum.

As far as the lube , transtar has nice lube that isn't too expensive.

I clean everything with brake wash , lay out a large white cloth and completely disassemble the valve body , lay each valve and spring out as they come out of the bores, clean each one individually and clean both valve body halves , there will be sludge in it .

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: hemi-itis] #1673415
09/18/14 03:28 PM
09/18/14 03:28 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Man, that's pretty. I know this is the race forum and I didn't state my goal. This is a moderate street build. 440, 475 hp, 3.91 SG.
That said, I need basic help in inspection, replacement and assembly.

What about the bushings? Do I knock em all out and replace em or leave em if they are clean? I sure don't want to make another $200 mistake...

I’m listening.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673416
09/18/14 03:49 PM
09/18/14 03:49 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
I agree with JohnRR, once you've taken the sprag out it will never be the same, get the good bolt in.

As for the bushings most times it's not necessary. You need to check them for wear, look at where the sealing rings ride, especially in the front drum to reaction shaft and input to reaction shaft. If there are any wear grooves on those surfaces the bushings that support them are toast and the hard parts will need to be replaced anyway.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Guitar Jones] #1673417
09/18/14 04:53 PM
09/18/14 04:53 PM
Mass.
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar

Mass.
Not sure I'd change the bushings if they're good either, at least without a press. A couple , like the reaction shaft I believe, were somewhat of a pain to get correct on my 727.

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: JohnRR] #1673418
09/18/14 04:59 PM
09/18/14 04:59 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Quote:

I have munroes manual , but I get bored reading so I just look at the pictures . One doesn't need to remove it to inspect it.

As far as the $200 mistake , how much is your feet or the car really worth. The $200 is the cheapest way to make the trans safer. In a street car I would put in the super sprag , you won't make it fail so the drum will never over speed , if your were building an 800HP tire shredding monster then the sprag and the drum.

As far as the lube , transtar has nice lube that isn't too expensive.

I clean everything with brake wash , lay out a large white cloth and completely disassemble the valve body , lay ech valve and sping out as they come out of the bores , clean each one individally and clean the entire valve body halves , there will be sludge in it .

Good info, John. It's not a matter of what my feet or car are worth. I'm not quick to replace factory engineered hardware that generally lasts 250k miles with no service especially when the "Bible" on that part says otherwise. Monroe does state something regarding improper assembly and risk of an explosion capable of injury or fatality if the thing binds up. Gotta love it. First everyone says, "it's easy, you can do it" so I dive in and now it's, "oh yeah, and don't create a grenade that will blow your nuts off..."

I’m listening.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673419
09/18/14 05:05 PM
09/18/14 05:05 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline OP
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline OP
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Thanks for the other comments on the bushings etc. guys. I've been replying when I can and don't mean to miss comments. I don't have a press but I can have them done if need be.

I’m listening.
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673420
09/18/14 07:35 PM
09/18/14 07:35 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club

BROOK PARK, OH
One thing you haven't stated (and no one has asked) is what kind of VB will you be using? THis will have a great effect on weather you stand a chance of over spinning the front drum.

If you plan on using a VB that does not have a LBA in first gear then I hihgly recomend a billet front drum. Most, manual VB's do not have LBA in first gear. All stock VB's (even those with a shift kit) reatain the LBA in first gear.

I have never knocked out a good working sprag so I can't tell you weather pressing in another factory one will last or not. Cheap insurance to not have to open it up after 5 passes would be a bolt in sprag.

If the bushings look good, I don't bother replacing them. Is it right? Probably not, But I've gotten away with every time so take that with a grain of salt and use your best judgement.

Cleaning the inside? I'm assuming you don't have accsess to a Hot Tank? Works great just be sure the "soap" is aluminum safe. If no tank, accetone or laquer thinner will work fine as will brake clean but that could get expensive. Tranny fluid is a fairly high detergent oil so things should clean up easily.

As for assy lube, beleive it or not, all I've ever used is good ol' petrolium jelly. Heard that trick form my auto trans instructor back in colledge. Never let me down yet.

One other thing I have yet to hear mentioned is, Do you have a lip seal tool? They aren't expensive and kinda a must have. It's really the only "transimission tool" I have ever bought. I can;t imagine how you will gett the seals and drums in correctly with out one.

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: WILD BILL] #1673421
09/18/14 08:18 PM
09/18/14 08:18 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
you only need a lip seal tool for the rear drum/fwd clutch and all you need to get by is a feeler gauge just be careful not to nick the seal.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: dusturbd340W5] #1673422
09/18/14 08:25 PM
09/18/14 08:25 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Offline
master
Leigh  Offline
master
L

Anoka County, MN
Take a piece of 1/8" tubing, and peen a piece of stainless wire into it. Hardware stores will have both items.

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: Big Bad Bee] #1673423
09/18/14 09:59 PM
09/18/14 09:59 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I've got the Lisle cam bearing install tool , I use it for replacing most of the bushings , I'd at least change the one in the front pump and in the front drum.

Yes the stock sprag will last hundreds of thousands of miles , in a daily driver , but once you start beating on them all bets are off.

My mom had a 72 Fury with a 360, what I drove when I couldn't sneak out in my dad's duster I transplanted the 340 and 4 speed into, I was out screwing around in it one day and was shifting up thru the gears and slammed it into reverse as I overshot drive at about 40mph , the car came to a screeching halt and wouldn't start right up afterwards . anyway we probably put another 5k on it after that before the trans took a dump and I swapped in one I got from the junkyard. When I finally parted the car out I saved the 727. A decade later I decided it was time to see what's going on inside and learn how to rebuild one. I stripped the trans apart and flipped the case over to pump side down and the outer race of the sprag and a hunk of the case fell out onto the bench ...

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: JohnRR] #1673424
09/18/14 10:44 PM
09/18/14 10:44 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
OK I'll though my 2 cents in. I've probably built over 75 727s. First I agree, I wouldn't have and personally don't remove the outer low roller cam. I have put the old one back in by lining up the splines and tapping it back in w/o issue. Do replace the pump bushing. It can be done w/o a bushing driver if you are very careful by using a piece of flat material, lay it flat across and tap it in straight. Used to do it all the time before I made a bushing driver. Look carefully at the new bushing. You will see that it a rolled piece that is joined with a seam. Make sure the seam is not inline with the area where it will be staked. Round an old punch or hinge pin and stake it. Remove the slight burr with knife, check it now on the converter to make sure it slides on freely. You 2 springs in the front servo. make sure the front clutch drum takes 4 frictions. If it;s set up for 3 replace it, they're cheap Clean the governor. Other than that the most difficult task is installing the front drum piston. You can't rotate it or see the outer seal. take a large zip tie , go around the seal and put the piston/seal/zip tie in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Take it out remove the zip tie , lube the seal and set the piston down as far as you can get it w/o forcing the seal to roll outward. You can fell when this happens. Then take the drum in your hands and tap it hard against a 4x4 wood block. the piston should fall down into the drum. If it does't work. try try again. Do not force it. When done drop both the input and drums into the 'front pump and air check it. Now's the time, don't wait until it's already assembled. I taught myself over 25 years ago. Pay attention, go slow. It will work fine. For what it's worth I run the original 1965 low roller in my 64 Belvedere. 200 passes it looks like new. The car ran 9.18@146 last weekend.
Doug

Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: dvw] #1673425
09/18/14 11:32 PM
09/18/14 11:32 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
I have built hundreds of these over the years all you need to do is lube up the front drum and seals real good and just wiggle the piston while applying pressure and it will slip right in no need for zip ties or a freezer.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: My On-Going 727 Rebuild Questions Post [Re: dvw] #1673426
09/19/14 01:07 AM
09/19/14 01:07 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
zip tie and freezer aren't required for a guy that's built 100 of them... but sure as hell helps the new guys out who have no idea what a rolled lip seal feels like...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6