Quote:

Bee,

You were right of course as were many other people that the 800 is tuned better by default. However, I am not convinced the 1407/1411's are junk. They have their place and they can be tuned for many applications.

1) On the primary side, the AFB and AVS (thunder) are identical carburetors. They also use the same rods, shooters and jets.

2) So Edelbrock got the AVS calibration closer to being correct OOTB for one application than on their AFB. How is this any different from the dozens of people complaining that Holley "x" doesn't work OOTB unless x, y and z is changed out?

I'm so tired of the hypocrites with Holley's who wade into these discussions, by and large I don't see the Carter & Edelbrock folks doing the same thing in the Holley threads. Perhaps I'll start popping in and suggesting a Thunder carb when they start or a nice Atomic EFI setup.

If you find simple jet and tuning changes to a carburetor on a 40 year old muscle car daunting I suggest leaving it to the big boys and go buy a new Mustang.

"I think its got a hemi"