Just about through with this little tuning endeavor and I am close enough to consider it a win. I will monitor and tweak it a little more but my 440 is running pretty strong with the 1411.

For me, Warm Idle is happiest with a vacuum of 16 and an average mixture of around 13. It will bounce between 12-13. I have no lean stumble but from a stop in first I will get a very slight rich stumble that I can probably adjust out with a smaller idle nozzle.

Cruise is nearly perfect ranging between 13.5 and 14.5 depending on hills and terrain.

Power has a large range depending on the Vacuum/RPM. At low RPM the mixture drops to about 12.5-13 and as the RPMs come up it climbs as high as 15.9.

With WOT, it takes about a full second before I see the A/F drop from the High-Power 15-16 down to the rich 12-13 mixture I was looking for. I am not 100% sure how this transition should work so I will research more before I change any more springs. I can say that the transition I have is smooth.

From the base 1411, this is what I have done:

Primaries - Stock 1432 (.110)
Secondaries - 1433 (.113) Two steps larger
Rods - 1458 (75/37) Stock Primary, Richer Secondary
Springs - Silver 8-in Hg
Moved the Accelerator Pump linkage to the lowest spot to lean out the Rich stumble I was getting off-idle

My numbers are not perfect but I have no dead spots during fast or slow acceleration or at WOT. The car drives effortlessly once I get it rolling into first.

The important takeaways I would give myself if I was starting over are:

1) Use an O2 Sensor/Gauge but don't ignore Vacuum or drivabilty
2) Changes in jets and rods are VERY gradual so document each change and its result
3) Take your time and read/learn as you go. Once you really understand the relationship between the Carb and your Vacuum system you will find the process easier.
4) 14.1-14.9 is the overall goal for cruising only. Idle needs to be be richer and your power will range based on Vacuum and load. Once the Power starts to near WOT, the vacuum will drop and the metering spring will release and allow a richer flow. In short, the mixture should be as low as 12 for some situations and even as high as 15-16 in some situations. Once you understand the components and vacuum then you are set.

8126609-mixture.jpg (153 downloads)