Bee,

You were right of course as were many other people that the 800 is tuned better by default. However, I am not convinced the 1407/1411's are junk. They have their place and they can be tuned for many applications. I made the 1411 work and on the Dyno it pulled about 380HP on a fairly tame 440 so its not junk.

I think that if someone has a 1407/1411 and they want to make it better and learn about the Eddy's then its worth getting a kit and making some improvements. (Borrow or Buy an O2 sensor and gauge to make it easier.)

If someone is looking to buy a good carb or they have a 1411 and DON'T want to play with it then I would echo your recommendation to buy the 800 right away. I too will drop in a short note about my experience to provide some context behind my recommendations.

In my experiment, I probably lost $150 buying new carb/parts and selling them and then buying a new carb. I am still happy though as now I understand how to tune these things!

I will pack up my O2 meter and gauge to keep things looking stock and will focus on enjoying life for a little while!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. You guys are awesome!