FWIW, Bob Karakashian offered up his 69 ½ A-12 Super Bee to Chrysler Engineers back in the day to test the new at that time Direct Connection camshafts, known today as MP Purple Shaft cams. Bob got hooked up on that deal through his good friend Tom Hoover (AKA Father of the Hemi). And Bob’s actually pictured in one of the early Direct Connection catalogs. This is all there in Bob’s bio, you can read up on it at the website I provided above.

Today Bob uses his custom grind because it’s allowed in the class he races in, Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, and because it works very well. When I spoke with Bob on the phone, he told me he’s helped people swap out their MP 284 and 509 cams for his cam which resulted in crisper performance.

Sorry but I too fell into the mantra as a young man with respect to everybody I knew was using a MP cam and thought that if Chrysler Engineers designed them and they're still around after all these years, then they must be awesome cams. I ran a MP 484 cam in a 440 and was never really fully satisfied with its performance.

Seriously, call Bob. He’s a nice guy and loves to talk Mopars. He’s really not in the cam business per say, but if someone requests one of his cam grinds, has glad to oblige.