Originally Posted by cspracer
Thanks for the feedback on Jetting the Carb. I have started watching airdensityonline.com and have purchased a weather station for the new trailer. I have always known the temp and humidity as well as altitude had an affect, but the 1000 ft guideline is a great standard to try to use on changing jets.
You mentioned the 30CC vs 50CC pumps. My dominator has the 50CC. Do you think this is contributing to the bog on the line? Should I switch to the 30's?
The only reason I went to this is when we started out, we knew nothing about tuning a carb. The car always bogged on the line until someone came up and told us one day to try larger jets. Once we did, it really took off the first time.
Even now, if the car is cold, (below 200 degrees) or if I do not rev the engine enough, when I punch the accelerator it wants to bog. I have tried different jets & different squirters but never really found the right combo.
It tends to do best when the car is warm, so this week we re-installed the thermostat, to help bring it up to temp quicker.

Question #2 - E-85, I am very interested in trying to switch my car from racing gas to E-85. My assumptions are to do this you need to change the following things:

1. Fuel pump & regulator. I am running the blue Holley now. -( $405 )
2. Fuel line. I am changing this anyway due to moving away from rubber line. I am thinking I need to go to 1/2 inch 8-AN for E-85.
3. Fuel cell - Currently I run only a 2 gallon tank. I only use about 1/2 of it on a typical 1/8 mile run, so I assume the fuel volume needed to run E-85 will not be more than 2x. (I m changing this anyway so no incremental costs)
4. Carb rebuild, (looks like this is about $491 from Summit)

Probably $1000 is a good estimate I am guessing to change over to E-85.
Can I simply pore it in and try it first with what I have and a little tweaking or would it ruin my current equipment. I am not thinking a long term repeated use, but would like to understand the gain I would get before I drop the money on this.

The carb will bog if you have too much transfer slot exposed. There needs to be fuel in the T slot to carry over into the next circuit once throttle blades open. I think you stated that you already checked the lever at acc pump arm. When the engine is warm an idling does it get blubbery[cam sounds rumpier] if you roll into the throttle slowly without pump shot coming in? What initial timing do you currently have?

Last edited by carnut68; 06/13/21 06:31 AM.

America First!