Again, thanks to everyone on your feedback. I spoke with my engine man today and he has been watching this post and was able to know exactly who this was by the details I posted. He suggests, (and I agree with him) that for now I focus on getting all the safety stuff checked out on the car before we even look at the engine. There is no doubt, the old drum brakes all the way around the car drag and have always been an issue. It is not a cheap option, but in the long run I do want to go to lightweight discs on all four wheels. This way I know I have the weight reduced some, less friction due to old drums, and better stopping power which is a safety thing. Now that I am older, I do care a bit more about that than I did in my 20's!
He also believes the radials can pick me up a little ET, so I am back to thinking I want to try these when I replace the tires.
He thinks the Carb is too big, but is more concerned about getting a better intake like the M1, so I will probably switch that out fairly soon.
There is no doubt I still need to learn more about tuning the carb, and while it may not be the best fit for now, if I ever do go faster, it will be good to keep it. I have a performer intake sitting on a car now, so I might take a look at trying that with a smaller carb. Seems like these days the best options are go with what you have sitting around when you can because items are hard to find and getting more expensive each day.

Maybe at this point you are asking, "Why does he have a new performer intake, and a set of Eddy heads sitting around?" well that is another story for later. Remind me to tell you that one.

So let me address Cab and the weather questions. I have detailed records from all my runs from 8/1999 - 4/2010, however I really did not understand what mattered until recently. All I was logging back then was temp, humidity and barometric pressure. I knew lower altitude track my car was faster, like Rockingham, but I did not fully grasp the air density. I have learned a good deal more about that since, and have even went back and found a few more details from dates that details are saved on www.airdensityonline.com. So thanks for that advice, and I will definitely be paying close attention to this as I run in the future. The last race I lost at Rockingham I felt like I was all over the details of the weather. My dial ins were spot on and the car was running on the number very consistently. Just before the run, I felt a slight breeze in my face. I did not adjust the dial in for it, and for the first time that day the car ran 2 hundredths off the dial instead of just one. I lost the race by .0048. No doubt weather can be a game changer.

Last note and it is bed time. Thanks for all the advice, and I agree with Cab one more time. Mopars win in the first half of the race, so focusing on the 60 ft, and getting out of the hole is where I am going to put my efforts for now.

race car.jpg

1968 - 383 Roadrunner 4 speed street car, Dad bought new
1970 - 440 Roadrunner drag footbrake car 6.99 1/8th
2016 - Hemi RAM 1500 - Hauls all the toys
North Georgia / Central NC