Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will give a few more details. This car was built in 2000, and I knew very little about cars at that time. Everything I learned was by trial and error and the internet. Parts for Mopars were not easy top come by, the only aftermarket heads were INDY and so you basically had to build a set of your own. Bullet Bob Reed ported my heads and I paid a few bucks for them. The upgraded heads took me from the 7.45 range down to 7.22. I raced it for about 10 years, but most of that time I focused on helping my Dad with his 1974 Barracuda. We built this car after mine 1970, and fixed all the dumb mistakes I made when I built my car. His is NOT cut in any areas, still has all the glass and door structure. Still has the full trunk lid with hinges, and we were still able to get it down to a 6.65 sec in the 1/8th. The big difference at that time was his cam, which was the .620 Mopar purple cam. He ran the .456 rear and used a spool. He also ran radials from the start. His intake was complete crap and his headers were the same 1 7/8 headers, but his car felt like a Pro-Mod to me when I would drive it. I figure it made about 50 more HP than mine, and everything behind the motor paid the price. We tore up the transmission, the drive shaft, the rear end, and an axle. We raced a bunch in NC, Piedmont, Farmington, Mooresville and Rockingham. I dedicated the last 6 years from 2004-2010 helping Dad and getting his car right because I knew my time would come one day.

From 2010 till now our cars have basically sat in the garage waiting. Dad got sick with pulmonary fibroses 4 years ago, and watching him slowly loose his battle with this disease was very difficult. He passed away at Christmas last year (2020) in the middle of all this covid mess. My sister is getting his Barracuda, so that car is not an option for me. I will get the rear-end, and maybe eventually the motor, but I am now focused on getting my car safe and up to date. I figure running the 7.0 class and doing footbrake bracket racing will be enough for now.

Now it is time for me to take my car and move it to Georgia where I have lived for the past 7 years. We do not have the same number of quality tracks here as in NC, and in fact we are loosing Commerce later this season. I have visited Paradise dragway and Brainerd, and hope to run at both these tracks, as well as taking the car back to NC to race some. I want to get the car legal to run a NHRA track so I can run Commerce at least once before they close it.

A lot has changed in the past 10 years. The sport seemed to almost die, and then this outlaw racing has been a bit of a savior for it. I went to my first Outlaw race last month in Brainerd and it was very impressive. The thing is folks seem to have moved away from bracket racing and more towards the index classes like 7.0 and 6.0 heads-up, pro tree. That is why I am looking to pick up a bit, to have more options on when I can race.
My car was VERY GOOD as a bracket car. My last real race was Mopars at the Rock in 2010 where I won three rounds and lost in the third round with a MOV of only .0048. That day the car ran 7.17, 7.17, 7.17, 7.15, 7.18, 7.16. Since that time I did replace the front part of my motor with aluminum parts, (Water Pump, WP Housing, and Radiator), so I believe I have dropped 15 lbs there.

The current plan is to bring the car to Ga. this weekend, and fix a few things and try to have it at Caffine and Octane at the drags at Atlanta Motor speedway on 6/15. If we run it there, I will post the results and maybe some pictures. Glad to be back in the racing game, and I appreciate all the advice I plan to continue to listen to folks and learn.

https://www.caffeineandoctane.com/caffeine-and-octane-at-the-drags

Last edited by cspracer; 05/28/21 12:23 AM.

1968 - 383 Roadrunner 4 speed street car, Dad bought new
1970 - 440 Roadrunner drag footbrake car 6.99 1/8th
2016 - Hemi RAM 1500 - Hauls all the toys
North Georgia / Central NC