I agree. Dad twisted a drive shaft in his Barracuda, so I know if I go any stronger on the engine, this is an upgrade I will need to do first.

So let me give everyone an update for today.
1. Went to NC and brought the car home to Georgia. Towed her over the mountains I-40 vs I-85 because 85 is just miserable to drive most of the time.
2. The car started right up. I did have to get a new battery, but otherwise ran fairly smooth.
3. I have an issue with the back wheel brakes locking up. They get tighter and tighter but do not release. This was an issue the last time I took the car out in 2018, so I know that has to be fixed before we can do anything else. We traced the issue back to the proportion valve. It was incredibly difficult to remove the lines from this valve! We also removed the master cylinder, cleaned it up and are rebuilding it. I know I want to replace the drum brakes with disc but was planning to only do the front for now. I think I want to go with the Wilwood Drag Dynalite brakes for the front. Brakes have always been a challenge and I have spent more time and effort on trying to get the old ones to work without dragging it is time to upgrade to a good, safe disc brake. Before we do anything else to the brakes I am going to understand what I need to replace to convert over to disc.
4. The rubber lines for the front brakes were horrible. We removed these and will replace them. The one rubber line connecting to the rear-end looked to be ok, so we are not replacing it for now.
5. Inspected the slicks and found they were still in good shape with a lot of tread on them. I replaced the front runners in 2018, and they look good as well.
6. Since we are going to redo the brakes we will re-route the right side line in front away from the transmission. It is currently in the stock position, and I understand the NHRA wants this moved away from the trans.
7. Installed a new safety Harness that is certified till June 2023.
8. In 2018 I installed an MSD distributor I got from a guy getting out of racing. I checked it and he had removed the springs. I went to my Dad's car and he runs a similar distributor. I checked his springs and installed a similar set to his. I need to learn more about these and how the affect the car. I also know when we go to run the car we need to dial in the timing. How much timing do most folks run? 36? 38?
9. Hooked up the transmission cooler I had bought before. This time I installed it with AN fittings and steel braided hose. No short cuts here. I did get a transmission temp gauge just to watch it. I have no idea what a normal temp should be in a race car.
10. Of course bringing in the car peaked the curiosity of the neighbors. My next door neighbor came over and talked for a while. He was actually the plant manager in the Chrysler transmission plant. He knew all about the old car and was tickled to share some stories. I had no idea he had this job in the past!

Of course the "To Do" list is pretty long, but if we get the brake situation solved before the weekend, there is a chance we may go do a test-n-tune session at Paradise Dragway in Calhoun Ga. on Saturday. If we do, I will try to get an updated weight on the car and share the latest numbers with everyone.

PS: I know the wiring is awful and we still have too many holes in the firewall. Both are pretty high up on the to do list. Also the car has rubber fuel lines, and this will also be fixed very soon, (maybe before the weekend). One more thing. Back in the day when I was trying to build this car I had access to a Plasma cutter and we used it EVERY where we thought we could loose some weight. That is why there is a hole in the fender well. You can also see the front bumper and supports is removed, as is the side windows. We cut all the support out of the hood, removed the springs, and cut eht structure out of the trunk and doors. In 2018 I replaced the radiator, water pump housing and water pump with aluminum. That is why I needed the trans cooler.

car 1.jpgcar 2.jpg
Last edited by cspracer; 06/01/21 12:37 AM.

1968 - 383 Roadrunner 4 speed street car, Dad bought new
1970 - 440 Roadrunner drag footbrake car 6.99 1/8th
2016 - Hemi RAM 1500 - Hauls all the toys
North Georgia / Central NC