Originally Posted by Redbird

I used to have to ship out overnight packages several times a week for my office. "When it absolutely has to be there overnight." I have not had to overnight a package for years. It now costs basically nothing to instantly send information including very large files. A huge market has dried up for the FedEx's of the world.

Do ya remember back in the dark ages when a thing called "faxes" was the way to send pages fast?? Would ya believe FedEx lost a boat load of money on that. Yeah, no doubt hit the overnight document segment pretty hard but I'm thinking R & D dollars. A few years before fax machines became affordable office machine, FedEx poured a pile of money in to a thing call the "Zap Mailer". Schedule a pickup before 10 am, have it delivered same day. Courier picks up yer doc, goes back to the service center, feeds it through a custom built machine, comes out miles away and gets delivered. No thermal imaging here - the system was built around an HP LaserJet that had been tweaked to scan as well as print.

As for my replaced door handle shipped USPS 11/25 out of San Jose, CA: Arrived in Allentown, PA on 12/5. Usually delivery time from there is next day, it arrived yesterday.

I wonder how many doses of covid vaccine will fall in to the black hole next week.