After my exit from California a little over a year ago, I took a part time job at the post office in my new little town in Oklahoma about 7 months ago while I figure out my next career move.(not a lot of demand for film industry workers in rural Oklahoma. lol)

Once the new post master was inserted we had a "stand up" talk one morning where we watched a short video on how he was going to start sending all the trucks from the distribution centers whether they were ready(full) or not. Things were bad before this but shortly after we began to notice things really starting to fall apart at our station. It upset the day to day balance significantly.
Our daily driver gives us updates every morning. Every day the number of full semi trailers sitting in Tulsa grows. I think it is now at 31 trailers of mail sitting and waiting to be processed. He is estimating we will catch up at the end of January. It will get worse before it gets better.

He also told us that the distribution center hired a few hundred new people in anticipation of the first covid era Christmas rush and approximately 80 of them are left. Couldn't hack it. Every day we find more and more ridiculous mistakes made at the distribution center that slows us down. I found mail to be delivered in our town that was addressed to central America today. We also got a package in that literally smelled like rotting flesh. Turns out some moron had mailed a few lobsters from the east coast. More insanity. lol.

We also deliver all amazon for our town. This is another factor. I cant believe this crap people order on amazon rather than go to the store. Giant boxes of toilet paper, cases of bottled water, 40 pound bags of dog food, you name it. And, of course, we have fully functional grocery stores and a Walmart minutes away. Its insane.

I had Sunday off but worked 15 days in a row before that. I'll have Christmas Day off and then will probably go another two to three weeks straight. At least Ill have some money to get my race car ready by spring, I guess.

Seems like its the perfect storm of poorly planned changes in distribution, Christmas, and the covid thing. I agree with you guys that the post office hasn't planned appropriately for this mess but its also completely unprecedented with all these crazy circumstances.
Thankfully all the people in our little town are very supportive despite their obvious frustration.
Not trying to blame any one thing specifically, just thought id share my experience. lol. Thanks for listening.

63 Plymouth savoy
65 d100
66 dart race project
58 plymouth suburban