Originally Posted by 70gtx440dana

I sure hope the USPS gets fixed up after the administration change. If I drop a local letter off directly at my post office...it get's sent 60 miles away to be sorted...then sent right back to the same PO I dropped it at to be delivered to the end user. What kind of efficiency is this????? So, it's 3 days minimum for delivery of a local letter that is less than 1 mile from the PO. The tracking system is nearly useless. I'm waiting on package from IL that was dropped off by seller on 12/4. The tracking doesn't even show it was received yet. Who knows when it will arrive.

Believe it or not, that is the most efficient way of doing it. Same as LTL's in trucking. LTL's (Less-than-A Load) rely on the same system. You gather up all of the mail or freight and take it to a central location where it gets unloaded, sorted and reloaded onto trucks going to a certain geographic area. The sorting terminals are huge and require lots of sorting machinery, manpower, trucks and docks.
You can't have sorting equipment and machinery at every PO in the country. If you did, postage would probably cost 4 times what it does.