Quote:

I think the idea that the cranks are causing oiling issues is mostly BS.

Stanton Racing (drag pak builder) told me the drag pak cars need 11.5 quarts between the pan and accusump. And there are at least a half dozen guys running stock 6.1 cranks shifting at 8200-8600 rpm and all have been fine for 2+ years.

Stanton mass produced the Drag Pak engines.For whatever reason he ground down the 6.1 rod journals to except Chevy SB rods. Whomever he chose to grind the crankshafts down must have been "someone" with little or no knowledge how to properly grind a crankshaft. After disassembling the Stanton fresh built 5.7 the first red flag rose when I noticed was that some of the supposedly zero deck pistons where either sticking out of the hole or in the hole which tells me that "someone" didn't know how to index a crankshaft properly. And the worse cluster mess up was that one piston was .006" above deck on the pin side and .005" in the hole on the other side??? .011" difference from pin to pin on a 3.917 bore. How hard on the rod bearings would that much deflection on the rod journal cause? I brought this up to Stanton himself but I'm not inclined to tell you what his suggestions were cause he'd probably plead the 5th so I made the decision to scrap the crank and grind a new one that I had on hand. So that brings up the question as to how many Drag Pak owners used their Stanton built motors as is and blame oiling issues as the reason they windowed a block? Anyways, just to be safe a Molnar crankshaft was purchased to replace the OEM 6.1.

Jerry Williams.