Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As for any of the stock crap holding up, I stand by my statement. I bet you guys don't have one single Ford part in any of your 9 inchers do ya?

Not in the Buick.....but I ran a factory Ford housing AND a factory Ford Nodular center section in my GTX when it was going 5.20s at 3300lbs. That same housing and center are now under my 63 Dodge

Monte

Yeah, sorry but I don't buy it. Stock ford 9" stuff doesn't hold up, I know from personal experience. Lots of personal experience. I have a 9" now that has survived so far in a backbraced street car, nothing to do with ford WHATSOEVER as far as the pumpkin goes.... not one thing.

I don't give a damn what you BUY. Its my car, I know what parts are in it and I have absolutely NO reason to lie about it. And like I said, it was a factory NODULAR iron housing and if you don't know what that is, you don't know anything about Ford rears. The housing was/is a factory HD housing with a back brace.

Your own personal troubles with 9" rears are well documented on the board. I don't know exactly what you were doing wrong, but you broke more stuff in a short span of time than I ever have in 40 years of using these rears.

Monte

HEY!
You said "factory" housing, but now you say back braced? My inquiring mind wants to know, which was it? My Demon had no back brace but a BIG housing, my Nova has a back brace....
A back braced housing sure isn't a factory housing, to me....

So because you put a back brace on a housing, it is no longer factory.........well ok then. I guess you got me. All I know is the housing in question, came out from under a Cobra-Jet Mustang, along with the factory Nodular center section. That housing had a backbrace installed and the ends squared. I call this a "factory" housing, because it was NOT aftermarket, was NOT sheet metal and came out from under a factory car. The center section was factory Nodular and had a Phlanx roller bearing retainer that my dad purchased in the early 70s. In fact this entire unit came out from under my dads 70 Challenger, that was a SS/GA national record holder in the early to mid 70s. After the Challenger broke more 8.75s than I can remember, we bought that entire rear from under a Mustang in a junk yard in about 1971. He installed the retainer, put a mini-spool in the factory locker, along with some Henry's 33 spline axles, a 5.13 gear and we never broke another rear in the Challenger..............In the late 80s, when I was setting my GTX up, I "borrowed" the rear from the long retired Challenger. It was at that time, that I installed the backbrace and swapped the mini-spool for a full spool. Those same other parts, including the 70s vintage Henry's axles and bearing retainer are still in the assy to this day. It has had several gearsets in over 30 years, but only two because of breakage. And the ones I did break were "street" gears because I was too cheap at the time to spring for Pro gears.......LOL!!!

Got to remember, back in the 70s there were no aftermarket cases, so everybody ran the factory Ford nodular stuff. They were plentiful and easy to find in bone yards. At one time we had about 10 we had found in bone yards, complete with lockers and you could buy them for about 40 bucks a pop........the "good old days"..........LOL!!! Wish I had those 10 centers now, could about name my price for them......LOL!!!

Monte

To be honest it makes a lot more sense to me now.
My Nova has backbraced 9" with more money in the pumpkin than I have spent on many cars, I'm hoping I never have trouble with it.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY