I, was setting on the porch of the gym my husband and I belong to Thurs... speaking to a friend of my husbands who is also a cop, he was kind of making a little fuss about having to work on his birth day. It was purely in jest, he told another of his friends when she ask him about (being a witness to a crime while off duty,) that "There's no such thing as off duty cops" as our conversation continued he thanks me for having sympathy for people in their line of work, as I told him it is a job that I, wouldn't want...(they have so much to deal with) and it came around to it always seems to be those routine(done it a zillion times) traffic stops that seem to claim the lives of so many of our officers.
I'm not sure why.... but I came home and got on the computer( I've been offline for a while due to a virus and hving to reformat everything install a router so on) And the first place I come to is Moparts where I saw on the main screen in bold blue letters: In Memory Of...And I honestly froze!
It has taken me this long to even be able to reply to this thread. It's been on my mind and it literaly breaks my heart, I didn't know Gary (Unlawful) as well or as long as many of you did, but every time I had the privillage to speak with him he was kind, compassionate and very genuine. I have 2 pm's in my inbox from him that I have read over and over and many that were deleted( as Dart_Girl said ... had I only known.... just goes to show that we take so many things for granted.. I know I'm rambling but you'll have to forgive me as words escape me right now... I, too feel as if I've lost a dear friend even though I was never fortunate enough to have met him and his wife in person.. I, would just like to tell her how very sorry I am for her loss and for all of you on this board who are hurting because of his death, I'm sorry for your loss as well.
And to quote officer Larry "There is no such thing as an off duty cop" He was just relocated to a better/higher precinct(sp?) One where there is no more drunk drivers, or knife carrying bad guys to contend with... it's constant donuts and coffee for OUR deeply missed (Unlawful) Gary Davis.. God Bless You All you have my deepest sympathies as I can't imagine how deep your sorrow must run.
Slow down, buckle up, and the next time you get pulled over for being in a hurry when you're late for work... instead of grinding your teeth and cursing the officer just say Thank you officer! He's trying to save you or your loved ones this kind of grief.