I've put off saying anything for over a day now because I just didn't know how to put my feelings to words (I still don't). I, too, am a police officer and I was fortunate to meet Gary (seems strange to call him "Gary"...he'll always be "Unlawfl" to me) a few years ago on Brice Rd. (back when the Chally was still green & silver) and had seen him a couple of times since then at the Moparts cookouts.
About four years ago, I went through a terrible time in my life. The friendships and helpful words of "Unlawfl" and some of the others on the board helped me through the difficult times (BTW, still happily married and having a 2nd baby next month). In one of the threads, everyone pitched in together to get me a computor so I could stay on the Moparts board. I printed up that thread and kept it ever since, just to look back and remember everyone's kindness. I think Gary's family would appreciate seeing all of the kind words that are being said about him here on Moparts.
Words cannot describe how saddened I am over his family's loss. My biggest fear as a police officer is leaving my children without a father. There is so much evil in this world that our children need the guidance of good parents. My prayers go out to Gary's family. May his family truly feel God's presence and comfort now. Gary...Unlawfl, thank you for the difference that you made in this world with your life; in your community, in your family, and here. You have spent your few years here on Earth wisely. You will be greatly missed!
-Guru Ranger (Det. Sgt. Steve Walker)
PS: I'll see 'ya in Heaven someday. Save me a pit pass!