Quote:

i might have a driveshaft..how long does it need to be?

I don't know. The van has the 3 speed and ball and trunion, so that length is wrong.
The PU had the rear torched out, so I never had the chance to measure there.
I guess I could measure from the back of the engine, then subtract the auto trans, but I think I'll wait until I get the whole thing assembled so the fit is right. I always seem to have driveshaft issues unless I have the whole combo in place and let them measure. I always get it wrong somehow. I also must mention that the gaps and measurements on this old commercial vehicle are not held to standards we expect today!

A friend has a 4X4 one that will need shortening, but I haven't even checked to see if the flanges are right. Too many other things going right now.
Thanks for the offer, though.

I also ordered a bucket of evapo-rust, so I'll be dipping stuff and report how that works.

Just pulled the trans off the dead 318 and stuck it into the back of the diesel. I'll take it over to the guy who's going to go through it tomorrow. Had to get a little creative getting the flexplate bolts out, since the motor is frozen big time. Need to remove the front cover (early= timing marks on right) to install on the 360.

Last edited by RodStRace; 01/12/10 08:23 PM.