Moparts

Got myself an A100!

Posted By: RodStRace

Got myself an A100! - 11/16/09 05:25 PM

Bought a 1966 A-100. Short (not a 108), no side window, V8 3 speed. Very little rust, but lots of dents and holes
Looking at getting it straightened out, fixing the holes and in paint. Will probably swap in a 360, unsure on the trans.
I need some parts, so I'll be asking some questions. Gotta pick up a manual too.
Here's a picture from the ad, I haven't taken any yet.
So tell me about upgrades, parts sources, and cool fixes!

Attached picture 5608645-1020091145.jpg
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/16/09 05:51 PM

Congrats!
Have fun with it, and as you know, I'll gladly provide any info I have.

Ran
Posted By: ejtmopar

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/16/09 09:23 PM

Convert it to a 4x4!!

Attached picture 5608990-110.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/16/09 10:29 PM

Quote:

Convert it to a 4x4!!

Ha ha
It's already got lift blocks front and rear, I plan on dropping it back down.

I have a line on another steering column (broken shifter).
Will need a rear bumper, unless I go full-on old school and get a plank carved out.
Also need a full set of door lock cylinders, ignition switch (parts store), seats (they have been replaced poorly, good luck!)and all weatherstripping.
A guy left a note on it at the races, and I have talked with him. He gave me more info and contacts.

Attached picture 5609071-smallDSCF1424.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/20/09 05:57 PM

Finally got it off the trailer, and found out it's already got a 360 in it!
Looks like the original valve covers and intake, and haven't checked the heads yet, but big inches!
Pulled the steering column this morning to swap out for one with a good shifter. Hope that after that and a bit of work on one shift linkage, I'll try to get it running!
Still have the 3 speed manual, couldn't read the rear tag, but hoping for a sure-grip.

I've been talking with a new local Moparts member, and he is willing to help me with the bodywork and paint, so the project is getting started.

How much power and gear is it going to take to get this thing to pull the front wheels? I'd rather go that way than a freeway flyer.
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/20/09 06:17 PM

Very cool, what parts ya need? I will keep my eyes open.

Dave

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/20/09 06:56 PM

Thanks Dave, I still have to clear out the junk in the back that was no extra charge and take stock of what I need.
I will need window/windshield gaskets, weatherstriping (seems there is a guy here that has them), and some other minor things, but I still need to get it running and get some body work done first. No point bolting on nice stuff just to take it back off.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/21/09 05:55 AM

Nice, already ahead of the game before you started! Glad you got it, and good luck on the body and paint.
Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/21/09 11:42 PM

Well, I cleaned out the junk in the back, swept it out and got the steering column back in.
The local vatozone had the ignition switch and lock , so those went in. Swapped out the wrong rear bumper for another set of brackets and a stock beat to heck bumper, along with pulling the gas tank since it's in the way of one of the bumper bolts and full of gas.
Next up was throwing a battery in it, and checking the engine over. The firing order was wrong, and the water was low. Fixed that up, and cranked it. It sounded like one cylinder was low, but no sounds, so I primed it and tried to get it running. The carb wouldn't stop flooding, so I go a can of gas to hook up to the pump and a pair of locking pliers on the fuel line. Then the heater core fitting for the hose fell off, so there was only 1/2 water.
I did get it running, but the carb and the water made it only a short time. The thing shakes like they used the neutral flywheel on the 360, and it has a miss.
So, the new list is
GOOD: The full battery box is there, the wiring seems to work (no smoke) except the turn signals and front clearance lights. I got all the doors to work, except I need to install 3 clips. The used column seems to be good. Most stuff has not been messed with, and all fasteners came out well (no rust is a GOOD thing!). The radiator held water, and overall, the thing seems to respond to TLC.
BAD: master cylinder has fluid, but no pedal. I'll try flushing, but will probably have work to do on top of the planned disc swap.
Quite a few little screws and clips are missing. Motor will get swapped. I kind expected this, but had that this one would at least let me move the thing around while doing body/paint.
Will need to get a 360 flywheel. Any suggestions on this would help. The seats need replacing. A-100 seats and clips aren't cheap. Crank pulley wobbles a bit. The steering column I got had the wiring hacked and the old one had an aftermarket turn signal switch. I'll have to get into the top of the column if I want horn and turn signals.

UGLY: I would not have paid a dime for the rear bumper if I had seen it first. The wiring that has been messed with will need work. The motor mounts were installed by the same guy, and I will need to weld and file at least one of the shift linkage holes (probably the reason the shifter was broken).

I stink like grease and old gas, but I'm pretty happy. Sure it would have been nice to just get it running, but I think it just wants more attention before it will work.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/22/09 11:42 PM

Well, day 2 went like day one, some good, some bad.

Spent some time pulling the brackets off the old toyota seats to see what I need to get seats back in. I have most of the stuff, just need seats and pins! One adjuster track is missing one of the rollers...

Removed the rest of the doghouse, except the front. More mismatched hardware.
Removed the bent slide out step. Found out it was added (this is a cargo van, not a sportsman or camper.) Flushed out the old brake fluid and bled them, now have brakes!
Took the carb apart and cleaned out all the junk. Freed up the power circuit, made up a missing accel linkage, and blew out the needle and seat.
This carb is junk, but it's better than the 5 others that were in back! None of them are even for this van!
Bypassed the heater and filled the radiator. Started it up and drove it a few hundred feet, until the wheel fell off!
Swapped on another wheel and added lugs to the other Cragar. At least it will move under it's own power. At that point, the front cover decided it had held long enough and spewed warm coolant directly at where I was sitting on the wheelwell.
Removed the seat belts and pressure washed the inside. I can JB weld the front cover to move it around for body/paint, or just bite the bullet and order the flywheel, pull the motor, swap in the other 360, get an intake, carb and clutch and have it running nice. I'm thinking swap, but it will cut into body time and funds. I'll have to talk to the body guy...

MODS can you move this to the project cars section?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/23/09 07:16 PM

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the club

As far as the rear bumper goes, just register it as a commercial vehicle and call it good

Attached picture 5622484-tmpphp8dDiGz.jpg
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/23/09 07:56 PM

I want to follow tabs on your project as I have a 69 also. They kinda butchered the wiring but does work, if you go with a aft. market wiring kit, I'd be interested who/what you use. Same goes for the brakes, mine are fine but have kicked the idea of disc. I know that MCG last Jan. or Feb had a article on disc swaps for these but still tring o locate a copy. Good luck and enjoy it. I just love the turning radius on these!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/23/09 08:47 PM

The previous owners didn't hack the wiring too much, so I think I'll be able to put that right.
They added funky lights on the rear, removed the steering column wiring and installed an aftermarket turn signal switch and added, then removed a radio. Luckily, no hacked up doors for speakers. There are a few loose wires here and there that I need to track down too.
The doghouse wiring is stiff and I'd like to replace it, but I want a factory look and I haven't found anyone doing them yet.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/23/09 09:47 PM

Quote:

The doghouse wiring is stiff and I'd like to replace it, but I want a factory look and I haven't found anyone doing them yet.

Yea that's my problem too, and good luck for us finding something stock looking for these things as I've been looking and comming up empty. May just have to suck it up and go with something different, as I know I'm sure not going to make my own for it!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/24/09 03:07 PM

I put clips in the door linkage, so now all doors work properly. Didn't have the correct one for the passenger front, but the E clip works okay.
Also dropped off one Cragar and lug nut at the local tire place to get a new set that fits. It will get the Cragars for now, until I can find something I like better. Also installed the RF headlight straight. I just don't understand how people can take something that is keyed to be idiot-proof and still mess it up. There was an inch of fine dust behind the pie pan, the same in both front doors. The more I look, the more dents and holes there are. I'm going to be busy!!!
Still contemplating colors.
Posted By: 3604speed

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/24/09 04:56 PM

January / February issue date or the month the mag was delivered?

I will look through my pile for the article.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/24/09 08:29 PM

Just relating info I have seen, but http://www.aajbrakes.com/ is supposed to have a kit, there is a plate pattern on the Yahoo site for a swap, and http://www.rustyhope.com/home.html
posted a while ago that he has done them and may be able to do another.
It seems that all of these use the 11" spindle, not the 10".

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/25/09 10:21 PM

Quote:

January / February issue date or the month the mag was delivered?

I will look through my pile for the article.

Issue date!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/29/09 05:34 PM

Hey, I just discovered this new forum, now I know where your post has gone.

There are a few more disc brake options:
Scarebird has already got a 10" spindle (2200 lbs capacity front axle) disc brake kit, and he is making me a 11" spindle (2500 lbs capacity front axle) kit. I'll post when available.

ECI has a kit for the 10" spindle.
Basically any kit that fits mid 60's B bodies should fit the 10" spindle.

There are a couple of members on the Yahoo group that made brackets. I have a setup for the 11" spindle, but decided in the end not to use it because it required trimming the spindle, which I didn't want to do.

Ran
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/29/09 06:05 PM

Just a thought here, you said you "Will need to get a 360 flywheel." Do to vibration and later stated that "Crank pulley wobbles a bit." Do you mean the vibration dampener? Is it possible that the vibration dampener is bad and causing the issue?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/01/09 03:55 AM

Quote:

Just a thought here, you said you "Will need to get a 360 flywheel." Do to vibration and later stated that "Crank pulley wobbles a bit." Do you mean the vibration dampener? Is it possible that the vibration dampener is bad and causing the issue?

Thanks for the concern.
The motor cranks a bit uneven. I tuned cars for a living for 13 years. It sounds like one cylinder is ~20% low, not 0 compression, but low.
On startup, it's a bit rough. This seems to be a combo of things; the low cylinder mentioned and the next part.
When the engine is revved to 1800-2200 RPM, it shakes more than a single low or even dead cylinder. This is something I've felt before with a co-worker's 400 Chevy (ext. balance) that was swapped in place of a 6 (int. balance). I've also experienced it to a lesser degree with SBFs and the different balance between early and late engines. It's something I recognise as an imbalance, even though it is NOT something you run into much.
The balancer is smooth and wobble-free. The outer part of the crank pulley (belt area) wobbles. I have not done a compression test, due to having another longblock. I could do one, but the motor is coming out anyway. I also have not checked the front pulley and bolts for the same reason. I will check it before I take it apart, though.
I expected the 360 might have the 318 flywheel attached, and the way it ran seemed to confirm it. I WILL be checking the flywheel for the balance holes.
http://www.moparaction.com/tech/quest/internally.html

Right now, I'm assessing the bodywork, checking sources for the stuff I need, and taking inventory. I hope to get started on welding up the hundred holes shortly. I will probably just run this engine while the bodywork is going, since the usual deal is to run it only a couple minutes to move it, which is hard on an engine.
When it's very close to done, or finished with paint, I'll probably swap it.
Posted By: marklock

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/03/09 03:22 PM

Cool project ! Always wanted a A100 van. Please post pic's as you go. As far as color goes maybe a two tone ? Either way good luck with it.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/06/09 02:11 AM

Here's a picture of it with the wheels just rolled in front.
Current thoughts are NO stripe or two tone. I like it looking stubby/boxy ,and any side stripe tends to make it look longer.
I want a light color to mask waves and body issues. I will try to get it fairly nice, but to make one really straight requires WAY too much work. White is what I'm thinking, but may go for something else. MAybe an industrial color, like the Yellow or Industrial Yellow HERE .

Attached picture 5649307-side.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/06/09 09:13 PM

Although this is a FERD van, it's an indication of where I want to go with this project.

I'm researching the transmission choices.
It's currently got a 3 speed manual.
I talked to a guy who has one with a 4 speed. He used a 65 barracuda one, with the wide ratios and a flanged output. He did away with the ball and trunion, and put in a driveshaft with a slip joint (4X4?). He also fabricated a mount that goes around the tailshaft and bolts to the lower trans mount and the upper body mount. He added a third linkage to the 3-on-the-tree, and uses that to shift. Others have added a third lever somewhere to actuate the reverse fork.

I can also try to find an A-100 specific 727 (short, rubber bushed top mount), or adapt a B van mount to the body. That will require a trans cooler and shifter too.

Attached picture 5650846-1966FordEconolinevan.jpg
Posted By: Mopargnome

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/07/09 04:39 AM

Thats what I'm talking about! Flares on your van like that would look sweet!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/07/09 06:05 PM

A photoshop a friend did

Attached picture 5652688-ByRiver.jpg
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/07/09 10:08 PM

That's going to be a fun project. I like the SS wheels with it too.

Joe

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/11/09 12:36 AM

Well, not much progress, but lots of pushing!
Got the 40 moved back into the rear corner, fired up the 47 to move to the front, and moved stuff around so there is just enough room for the van inside too.
Fired it up again on the borrowed battery and the hose in the 5 gal. gas tank, and tried to get it up the driveway. No go with the mud, snow and flat tire. I did prove it has a one-legger (3.55)! So I swapped on the other front SS, again without washers (a week away) and got it into the garage!

Now I'll be able to jack it up and pull the lift blocks and weld inside the garage, even though I still have to run it on an extension cord from the house. No power in the garage...

Can't wait to see it with the rake. I'll have to see if I can pull the third leaf and drop it a bit more in front. There should be plenty of room in the back with the wheelwells cut to pull the 3rd and 5th leaf.

Next is to get an electric grinder to dress the welds, since my air compressor died.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/13/09 01:55 AM

Worked on the shorty a bit today. Pulled both 2" lift blocks out of the front axle. It's got RAKE now! Sorry, no pictures with it stuffed in the garage. The U-bolts were too long to reuse, so I went searching, but no joy in this small town on a Saturday. I did get a nice Makita grinder for dressing welds. It was a bit cold when I got back, so I just researched U-bolts. Seems there is a Fastenal nearby, so I'll round up the first group of hardware and drive over next week. Hope they have the doghouse bolts and clipnuts, the door panel screws, the grille screw and bolt, the wave washer and regular washer for the shift linkage, and the side door jamb bolt (so far), and of course the U-bolts. I'll see what else they have to use on this project. Maybe they will have the J bolt for the gas tank strap. The one in there was custom built by someone, and it works but isn't right. I'll look at the rear U-bolts too, to see if I need new ones back there too. The rear only has a 1" block, so they may work.
Posted By: DARTROD

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/13/09 02:57 PM

Check out vannin.com for van ideas, an awesome forum.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 04:48 PM

If your local ACE Hardware store is like mine, take the old doghouse bolt and clip and get them there like me. Was a piece of cake as I needed like 8 of them. Check NAPA for the U bolts. We Need more Pics!!!!!!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 05:26 PM

I got the doghouse bolts and clips.
No one seems to have the U-bolts or the door panel screws. A friend is checking other sources today.

No pics since it's buried in the garage, and without U bolts I won't risk rolling it out down the driveway.

I'm going to weld up more holes today and start to dress them. I'll get some pictures of that.

Attached picture 5669367-floor.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 11:11 PM

right rear door

Attached picture 5669943-RRdoor.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 11:13 PM

Best pic I could get of the rake while it's jammed in the garage with 4 other cars.

Attached picture 5669945-LF.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 11:14 PM

inside holes, practicing on the ones that don't count to get better to do the outside holes...

Attached picture 5669946-Lwall.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/09 11:18 PM

Here is the right front, can't see the rake too well, but the front tire doesn't have 3 inches above it any more!

Attached picture 5669954-RF.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/16/09 05:15 PM

I have a boatload of trim screws somewhere. Let me know what you come up with.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/17/09 02:36 PM

Stubbs, thanks. The door screws are strange.
Phillips oval head, countersunk, 10-24 machine screw with a small undercut at the base of the head. These are ~1/2" total, but longer is okay.

Here's the latest. Got the rear blocks out and it's down on all 4 Cragars. I pulled the 47 out so I could get pictures. It lost some rake, but sure doesn't look 4X4 any more.

Attached picture 5673105-side.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/17/09 02:37 PM

another

Attached picture 5673108-side1.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/17/09 11:13 PM

today I removed the heater, the dash switches and headlights/front markers. All handles except front outside are out. All emblems except the front and 2 hole pins on the rear door are out and bagged. cluster would be out, but I don't want to open the oil pressure line and forget.
It looks good so far, once I get the front axle bolted on, I'll roll it out in the sun and get some of the rubber out. No sense fighting old, hard rubber when it's cold! I'll be able to restore some of the items removed (handles, heater) when it's too cold or dark to get stuff done on the body.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/18/09 03:32 AM

Quote:

another

Im not a fan of vans at all but with some side pipes and one of the cool acid trip paint jobs that thing would be sweeeeeeet
cuda looks dusty..ill drive it

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/18/09 02:14 PM

Thanks, but the cuda is without drivetrain right now, sitting in the rafters.
Not sure about sidepipes yet. Considering the center exhaust manifolds dump right about at the back of the front tire, it would be fairly easy to do....
Headers would require a couple of 180s, but a buddy has mentioned some header flanges. Just straight down, then out to a side pipe or zoomies?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/19/09 12:31 AM

pulled the wipers, seat brackets, bagged and tagged a bunch of stuff and installed the wheel washers finally!
Anyone know about door locks, handles and gaskets? I think they interchange with D100s, will check on those.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/21/09 07:23 PM

Door lock cylinders I think interchange with something like 64 A body...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/31/09 05:48 AM

Posted By: BUTCH123

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/01/10 01:00 AM

LOOKS LIKE A MYSTERY MACHINE TO ME. SCOOBY DO WHERE ARE YOU?????????//

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/02/10 11:36 PM

Well, I didn't work on the van, but I did get stuff done. Spent ALL yesterday going to CA and getting a parts A-100 pickup. Spent today stripping off parts and looking stuff over.
Here's a pic from the ad. The guy sold the rear to someone, so he torched it out and dropped the rest on my trailer. I got a good deal and many parts I needed!

Attached picture 5706642-3p13o13l05Q65T65R09cm5b03e567d6f714e4.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/04/10 12:46 AM

So now it's decision time.
Do I use the 66 dash and doors (no panels, no armrests, arm type door handle)
or do I swap the 68 dash and doors (panels and arm rests, pull door handle)?
If I keep the 66 dash, I have to cut out and weld in the area for the shifter or mount it somewhere else.
If I swap dashes, I will have to cut out both dashes and weld the 68 into the 66 van.
There are other minor differences like 4-way flashers, ignition switch next to door, lighter in base (68) or ignition switch more in center and lighter in shifter area.

66 dash

68 dash

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/04/10 12:47 AM

By the way, here's the "fancy" door panels...

Attached picture 5709387-100_0080.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/04/10 08:56 PM

I think replacing the dash is too much work.
Doors, not such a problem.
Do you need the doors to match the dash?
I'm pretty sure that cutting the 66 dash and adding the bracket for the shifter is easier than cutting out the entire dash (spot welded), then welding in the 68.
Adding the 4 way flasher is easy, just one hole to drill (I added that in my 66).

Ran
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/05/10 05:44 AM

COOOOOL project!!!!!!

I've been ultra busy lately but still can't believe I missed this thread!

I love those old vans! Nice project, keep the posts coming!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/05/10 05:00 PM

Thanks CMG!
I've been stripping the parts truck down. I have almost all the little stuff I was missing from the van. Only some cargo door parts and the pins for the seats (can be found in boat supply places, I'm told). Oh, and a nice rear bumper. I found a NAPA number for door locks and ignition switch, so I'll check that out now that I have an almost complete set...
The wiring on the PU is tired and hacked too, so there will be some work there. I don't think I'll have to resort to a full harness replacement.
There was no weight in the back (I'm still not sure the PUs had it), and the gas tank is attached different. 2 straps front to back, rather than the van single strap side-to-side.
Still waiting on the manual I ordered, hoping it can guide removing the front doghouse on both. The wiring and some controls go through this, so I'll have to strip it down more first. Practice on the PU, do the van later before paint, since this will render it a push only situation.
The parts PU has the u bolts, front door lock cylinders, nice pie pans, a front bumper with guards that is only slightly tweaked, good front lenses, a very nice steering wheel and unhacked column and TS switch, nice seats, a great battery box with cables, very nice inside mirror with screws, and a different design heater control, although the assembly looks the same. See the interior pictures for the differences.
I will probably clean, rebuild and paint stuff like the front axle assembly, steering column, cluster, transmission and other stuff from this one and keep the van running for now. Swap out the finished parts after paint. The doghouse will be mostly from the van, with the front section from the PU. I'll probably pull the PU springs and remove leaves to drop it a bit more too when installed in the van.
The PU has the auto trans and all the related items, plus an added trans cooler. I will have to get a stall converter and I might go with a weighted flexplate so the converter can be neutral.
The 66 cluster has a mechanical Oil pressure gauge, the 68 is electric. I'll use the electric to avoid the 7 foot line!
I'm amazed by the condition of the PU parts. It must have sat in a carport or garage a lot. No rust or bad sunbaking, even the crash pad and seats are decent! I may haul the carcass to MATS or Spring Fling in case anyone wants nice sheetmetal. Let me know if any of you need floor sections, a nose or other stuff (Ran needs a door ) and I'll try to firm up plans on anyone needing sheetmetal. Aside from the hacking for the van conversion, the engine being open too long and the rear axle removal, the rest of the stuff is in good shape. I also have 3 15" wheels with the hubcap bumps on the outside.
It's going to be interesting to pull the engine and trans up on the trailer without a rear axle, but I think I have a plan.
I'll also probably fab up a pair of wheeled dollys to bolt in in place of the springs since you can't really support the van on the frame rails. That way I can swap out the front and rear axles and prep/paint the underside of the van.
Nicksgarage is keeping an eye out for me on some other parts I didn't get with this pair, and a big thanks goes out to him for his help.

After this it's back to bodywork 101. I'm not comfortable beating out dents, but it needs to be done and I'm learning. Maybe by the time I'm done, I can be good enough to tackle the 40!

P.S. Ran, do you have any pictures of yours? Motivation is strong at this point, but I may need some soon!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/05/10 08:36 PM

Haha...I don't think the pictures of my van will give you ANY motivation.
I started with the drivetrain swap, front suspension, fuel tank/line, completely new wiring, and some brake work that I really didn't want to do. So the van still looks bad, really bad.
I can take pictures of boxes of parts that need to go on it, will that give you motivation?

I'm stuck at a point where I need to save money for a potential house buy, and my buddy with the shop doesn't have room/time.
I'm enjoying reading about your progress, glad you are getting somewhere.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/07/10 04:59 PM

Well, I got the manual last night and read through it some. Seems that the radiator comes out through the bottom. Still can't figure out how the front doghouse comes off, but will wait until I get the rad out before I go there. Have the engine/trans just about ready to pull from the parts truck, and will continue stripping it down. Since you can't lift these except at the axles, I will have to get creative about pulling stuff off the bottom of b oth of these. I'll probably build a dolly that fits into the spring perches at each end.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/07/10 09:03 PM

About the doghouse:
Pretty staright forward:
Besides the bolts on the flange that bolt to the floor, there are a few horizontal bolts holding it to the a couple of vertical sheet metal parts. I pulled mine out with the radiator still attached to it.

About lifting:
I use a 4 arm lift with vertical extenders between the pads and the arms. You need to get the pads out, locate the arms beneath the strong parts of the unibody "chassis" rail, close to the spring perches, then put the extenders and the pads. This way, the arms don't touch the rocker panels. A very big hassle, but it can be done.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/07/10 10:47 PM

Thanks, got the doghouse front out. Pulled the radiator out first, then the shroud, then the front. The shifter cable goes thru it, and I'll have the pry it out of the bracket to feed it thru. Got the wiring that also goes thru fed out, along with the accel linkage.
The manual warns against lifting any of the 90 inchers by the frame. The 108s are okay, though.
I did an engine in an early chevy van once and ended up using 2 big bumper jacks to get it 3 feet in the air.

The motor is ready to pull, everything is off and all the mount bolts are just finger tight. A friend is coming over Sat. morning to help get the engine/trans out with me. I still have the dash to strip, and stuff underneath, but the will wait until I have it in a better position to get to the stuff. I cleaned and treated the seats, they look so good! The steering wheel should be good too.

Attached picture 5718829-seats.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/07/10 11:40 PM

Oh MAN that looks cool!

Joe

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/08/10 03:26 AM

BTW, I don't think I mentioned it, but the PU has an auto I'm going to use (I did mention the shifter). This has the solid U-bolt flange on the back of the trans. I seem to remember reading that a 4X4 front driveshaft can be made to work in this (the PU didn't have one). I do have a local connection for doing the trans, but will have to get a driveshaft modified/made for this.
The body guy said that changing out the dash is going to be a lot of work. Better to just section in the shifter area and drill the holes for the crash pad.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/10/10 12:30 AM

Well, got the engine/trans out and pressure washed.
Also got some more stuff stripped out of the PU.
nicksgarage called while we were working and he is going to get more parts for me!

Also tried out a strange idea. I have a 70 Barracuda dash with a glue on pad in my parts. We measured then pulled off the dash pad cap and propped it up in the van. It would take some work and fabrication, but the width is right. I'd have to section some of the depth out to clear the wheel and tilt it so the gauges were visible, but a 'cuda dash in a van would sure turn heads! The steering column doesn't fall in the right place, and a new support would need building too.
Just a goofy idea, but maybe someone else would want to try it!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/10/10 05:05 AM

That's some crazy idea, but it is unique, could be pretty cool.
I'm ok with the stock dash. My plan is to change the instrument panel and put in an insert with Classic Chrome Auto Meter gauges (all others just look too modern to me).
About the lifting - I asked about it on the A100 group in the past, because I have read the same thing in my manual, and got several replies that it's fine to lift the way I described.
I did that to two vans and all seemed OK, but I understand you want to be safe. Better be safe and not have a bent van.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/10/10 04:15 PM

Nick found a sportsman cluster face for me, along with a bunch of other goodies. The drip rail chrome was thrashed , so no joy on more chrome.
He did get the rear pop out windows for me though! Thanks, Nick!

I have the sheetmetal shell listed in the for sale section, hopefully someone who needs some nice metal can use it. That's original paint, guys! I'll pressure wash it and take more photos once I get the rest of the parts off. It's a real shame this thing got hacked, but I got a bunch of parts and hopefully it can be used to save another.

The dash would be too much additional work. I wanted to see how close it was, and it does look like it could be made to work, but I want to drive this thing, and that would add at least 2-3 full weeks to the project. I'd rather block it one more time than dive into something that may not work out well.

I will have to support the thing somehow to swap out the front axle and suspension when I'm ready, I'll be careful!

Attached picture 5725134-nickparts.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/12/10 12:30 AM

Got more out of the parts PU. Only stuff left is the steering column, front axle, proportioning valve and lines, and the shifter/cable and doghouse.

Oh, and the dash so I can get the shifter mounting area.

Running out of room for all the stuff from both, will have to clean, sort and bag/tag things.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/12/10 12:38 AM

Here are some pictures of the PU shell.

Posted By: crowbait

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/12/10 04:30 AM

i might have a driveshaft..how long does it need to be?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/12/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

i might have a driveshaft..how long does it need to be?

I don't know. The van has the 3 speed and ball and trunion, so that length is wrong.
The PU had the rear torched out, so I never had the chance to measure there.
I guess I could measure from the back of the engine, then subtract the auto trans, but I think I'll wait until I get the whole thing assembled so the fit is right. I always seem to have driveshaft issues unless I have the whole combo in place and let them measure. I always get it wrong somehow. I also must mention that the gaps and measurements on this old commercial vehicle are not held to standards we expect today!

A friend has a 4X4 one that will need shortening, but I haven't even checked to see if the flanges are right. Too many other things going right now.
Thanks for the offer, though.

I also ordered a bucket of evapo-rust, so I'll be dipping stuff and report how that works.

Just pulled the trans off the dead 318 and stuck it into the back of the diesel. I'll take it over to the guy who's going to go through it tomorrow. Had to get a little creative getting the flexplate bolts out, since the motor is frozen big time. Need to remove the front cover (early= timing marks on right) to install on the 360.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/12/10 10:47 PM

Well, I bagged and tagged everything. It's no longer in the van, in the garage, in the PU, in the truck and in the other van!

Everything except the 2 gas tanks, the radiator and shroud, and the OE wheels is now in tubs in the back of the A-100 van.

Still need to pull the ramaining stuff out of the PU, but want to settle on a place for it to rest after the front comes out.

I've started a list of all the stuff that needs to go Black, so I can get those prepped and painted.

UPDATE, the trans is at the guy's house that is going to rebuild and update it. Spent 3 hours cleaning the case! (no scrubbing graemlin!)
Now it's time to go through and prep the stuff going Black, and finish removing the last of the parts out of the PU.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/17/10 02:53 PM

I received a bunch of parts from nicksgarage that he had removed from a 67 A-108 in a junkyard.

Spent time yesterday at an auto swap here and am going to a JY today. Got the windshield out of the parts truck, in prep for removing the dash.

Also smashed a finger dropping a tool box in it.

Got the evaporust and will start dipping stuff.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/19/10 01:43 PM

Only got a couple things at the yard, nothing major. Didn't work on anything yesterday, too nasty out. I hope to at least get some parts in the dip today and start cleaning little stuff.
I did talk to a guy about blasting the body; he's coming by next week to take a look and get a tighter estimate. Walnut shells or soda, probably walnut so the metal doesn't need the rinse. Still have to get more holes welded and rough out the bodywork before that happens. Still have the parts to remove from the PU too.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/24/10 06:23 PM

Unscrewed a few more items from the PU, moved the boxes of stuff from the van into the front porch, and moved the doors in out of the weather. It's COLD out there!
I did get a driveshaft from the yard that needs to be shortened. Still no sale on the PU carcass, it's all back east people that need the sheetmetal, which means shipping.
I've been tossing small batches of bolts into a friend's vibrating cleaner, but with so many fasteners that are similar, it's slow , small batches so they don't get mixed up. I've also run 2 bags of stuff through the evaporust. It does pretty good, but the camera batteries died, so no pictures.
I'll take the PU off the trailer and remove the front end shortly, so I have that sub-assembly to freshen up. I plan on removing the third leaf to get a bit more drop in front. Another friend is racing this weekend, so we are meeting up and I'll get another batch of donations to the project. Thanks, Steve.
I have a line on a b laster, so I may be doing some or all of that myself. I hear it's HARD work, so I'll concentrate on all the small stuff and see how it does, No progress on body work yet, so it's not ready to get blasted anyway. Might as well get all the roughing out done first, so I'm not welding and hammering on primered sheetmetal.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/07/10 06:01 PM

Cleaning parts and doing other odd things for now, nothing big or photographic.
I did find something interesting, it seems there was an A-100 in the WPC museum.
http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/showproduct.php/product/678

If anyone has more pictures, I'd like to see them.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/13/10 01:03 AM

Got a lot of the holes welded up, only have the ones in the sides and the big ones that need patches left (4 in the pic alone!), aside from a couple more in the roof ribs. Oh, and some at the tops of the doors.
Speaking of doors, I got the rear door gaps a lot better, and the side doors really nice for a 66 commercial body!
Tried the 68 door on the passenger side and it was so far off, I put the 66 back on. It's staying plain doors. Still have to figure out the dash.
I got the steering column out of the donor and the wheel, switch and outer column off.
This shot was taken 2 minutes ago.

Attached picture 5800292-feb12.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/19/10 06:34 PM

Met Ran this past Saturday and saw his van. Lots of nice work already done, almost ready for the pretty stuff!

I went with a friend to a wrecking yard yesterday and found a chrome rear bumper. It sure is bent, but that's what the chromers get paid for, right?
The transmission is completely rebuilt. Swapped in a 4 planetary gearset (OE was 3) and a 1977 valvebody with the part-throttle kickdown. Full Mancini kit with the good stuff and a 5.0 arm, along with a transgo TF-2 shift kit. Should be a fun lil beastie with a 360 in front!
Still have to get the converter and flexplate (360 offset weight).
If I have time this weekend, I plan on pulling the dual master P valve and lines, and the front suspension out of the parts truck. I'll get that all cleaned up and ready to swap under the van.
I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to get chromed, but don't have the funds right now.
Next project is to get the 360 stripped, painted and together, ready to go. Still considering the color and valve covers. 273 Red, 340 Orange or Turquoise? Not a fan of Black.... I may end up painting it whatever I decide to shoot the outside.
For the valve covers, I have the original 273s with the plug wire brackets, some old Moroso ones, a set of the flat chrome ones and a set of ribbed aluminum ones that were donated (I'll return them if not used).
The intake is an Edelbrock RPM air gap, and I'll use the front cover from the truck 318 (early style).
Still need to get a carb too. I'll set up the EI I grabbed to complete the engine, along with the mini starter and a new iron early WP. I will have to see what needs to be done to get the early pulleys on the 360 damper.
There was a good article on shortening driveshafts on the HAMB, so I may try to DIY that rather than spend chrome money!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447741&showall=1
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/25/10 04:48 AM

John,What size wheels/tires do you have on the van?Looks good!
RT

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/01/10 06:42 PM

Quote:

John,What size wheels/tires do you have on the van?Looks good!
RT

Sorry for the slow response.

P215/65R15 on 15X7 front
P275/60R15 on 15X10 rear
I'm guessing on the wheel widths, since they are mounted.

Found a guy with another A-100 here in town. He wants the PU sheetmetal for his van, since it's rusty on the bottom.
He's a metal man, so it may be a trade, may be cash.

No progress on the van this week, have lots of work and spent the weekend helping a friend race. He WON!!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/21/10 08:58 PM

Slow to no progress. Got the front end out of the parts PU, no other progress, but trying to work out deals for more stuff to get done.
I did find a color that may go on the outside, but will have to see a test panel first.
It's really dark, so the body will have to be straight! Mopargnome here will be shooting it, and doesn't like White, so I'm trying to find something I like and hasn't been done a lot already (Blue).
Still need to get a bunch of stuff chromed, cleaned and repainted, and generally restore a bunch of components.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/24/10 03:03 AM

I was feeling crappy all day today. I will give you a call tomorrow

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/24/10 03:20 PM

Hey Rod- I saw on another forum that your looking for doghouse seal. You still looking? Let me know as I have extra [about 10'] that I'll let go of.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/24/10 11:16 PM

Where did you find that seal, is it quality made?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 02:37 PM

Quote:

Where did you find that seal, is it quality made?

Bought it from soffseal. Not exactly the same as stock but works and seals good.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 02:47 PM

Stubs, I'd be interested in the seal. I haven't bought any of that yet, so one part is a start!
Spent yesterday on the road, I'll let Mopargnome tell the story. Gotta work today and get packed to leave for MATS tomorrow. Maybe work out details next week?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 03:28 PM

We went to Gallup, new mexico to get a 91 Diesel Dodge with a 5 speed that I'm going to use for a diesel swap into my old crew. Thanks John! Now I got to get caught up to get your van over here.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 04:49 PM

Quote:

Stubs, I'd be interested in the seal. I haven't bought any of that yet, so one part is a start!
Spent yesterday on the road, I'll let Mopargnome tell the story. Gotta work today and get packed to leave for MATS tomorrow. Maybe work out details next week?

Check your PM's. Thanks

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 05:01 PM

Thanks stubbs.
Mopargnome, we still have to work out how much work the truck will "buy". Did you call on the RC in Vegas? Do you still want to try for that one?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/10 06:24 PM

Tried to send a pm but your box is full. A postal MO will work fine for me if for you too. I'll try sending a pm in a day or to with mailing info as this will be yours. Have fun, wish I was going.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/30/10 10:38 PM

Cleared out space, hope to hear from you.
Got a quote today for soda blasting the van.
Still trying to decide if I want to do the grunt work or have it done. Most people say that after doing one, they will pay to have it done. The quote was for 1800 inside and out, not underneath.
I did pick the color for the van outside. I always planned on White inside, and another outside. After seeing that the new Plum Crazy is darker than the older color, I'm going with the new one. The paint is reasonable from the store, so it's going on!

Got a couple things at MATS for the van, so it's mostly work at this point. Will still need a few items and a complete set of weatherstripping.

Also got the front axle out of the truck, the only things left are the brake lines and P.valve and hacking out the dash shifter area.

Next strip out some more on the van and restore what's off! Still avoiding metal work for now. I want to drop the front another inch or two if everything will clear.

Attached picture 5897125-2010-dodge-challenger-r-t-plum-crazy_100231024_l.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/31/10 02:52 AM

who or what company are you going to use for your wind-wing rubber?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/31/10 03:36 AM

That's one item I haven't found yet. I have a while to go before buying that stuff.
I still have seals I bought for the 40 wrapped up in boxes 15 years after buying them. I won't do that again!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/31/10 07:35 PM

That's a nice looking purple, good choice.
What did you get at MATS?

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/31/10 08:18 PM

A brand new oil pan, pickup and pump from Indy that may or may not go in the van (possible parts trade)
360 flexplate from Mancini
A couple of books and mags
The Red with flames on the bottom diecast van (already have the Silver one)
A set of used 5.13(!) gears that may end up under the van for fairground cruising
The list of small stuff still needed is pretty short; a torque convertor, all the seals, exhaust, wear stuff (belts, hoses, brakes) and then the big stuff; paint and chrome.

Re: Got myself an A100! *DELETED* - 04/06/10 02:40 PM

Post deleted by RodStRace
Posted By: A38s!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/06/10 06:28 PM

I am so far behind, I thought you were still lookin for a shorty!

Looks

There's a 67 273 auto Sportsman near here that's gonna be crushed w/i the next 1-2 mos. I pulled the SG some time ago. Considering grabbing the trans. Now I see the fact mirrors are gone.

If you still need misc fact stuff - lemme know and I'll check it out.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/06/10 07:18 PM

I appreciate the offer!
The following items are good to grab before it gets crushed, I've put the ones I'd be interested in in RED .
Seats - all the SS guys want them. 150 pr. on Ebay for ones needing recovering
Bumpers - I have a decent front one and a couple beat rears (only one chrome). Again, these sell well. I'd be interested in a good rear chrome.
Chrome trim - if it has good drip rail trim, I'd like those. Also good demand items. The side stuff is also hard to find without damage. Not for me, though.
Transmission - good to grab. I've got a rebuilt.
Wheels - stock 15 inch with the bumps; SS guys again. I'm using the Cragars.
No window doors - good to convert from window doors. I'm good on this.
Door handles - The fronts are shared with D100s and A bodys (I think). The side/rear are unique and can bring a few bucks.
Front suspension and steering - I'm good, but the gassers want the suspension and the van guys are always looking for a good box.
8.75 rear housing - wider than cars, could sell to someone that wants to narrow.
Sportsman dash trim - cast cluster bezel with grooves instead of stamped metal is worth a few bucks. If it has the one that goes all the way across the dash, I'd be interested. See attachment. I've got the bezel, see picture on page 2 (Thanks again, Nick!)
Shifter, cable, bracket - worth a few bucks too. Mine is fine.
Grille - these are good if straight. I have a pair.
Motor mounts to frame - I'm good, but these are worth money to the guys doing engine swaps.
Driveshaft - I bought a 4X4 one to have fitted, if it's not a ball and trunion, this would again be handy for the guy that's swapping to a V8.
Body latch for side/rear door - I need one of the little bolted on plates the door strikers engage, with bolts.
Door straps - the webbing used to keep the doors from swinging too far.
Any interior finish panels - if in good condition. These get sun damaged and torn up. A guy redoing one will appreciate these.
Gas tank - unique, If in good shape, this might sell.
Pie pans - the trim for the headlights is shared with some D-100s. Good to grab if in good shape.
Front lenses - if in good shape.
Turn signal switch - If the steering box is worn but the switch is good (not hacked), it is worth the effort to pull.
Steering wheel - no cracks would make it worthwhile. If it's shot, don't bother. A white one is worth grabbing if the cracks aren't bad.
Washer bottle - usually cracked and leaks. If it's good, grab the entire system.
Seat belts - if in good shape.
Throttle linkage/cable - the 67 should have the linkage not the cable, but either is a good grab.

If you can grab all the V8/auto specfic stuff (engine mounts, trans, driveshaft, fan shroud and radiator, AT cooling lines, shifter, engine pulleys and brackets, clutch pedal block-off plate, steering column throttle stuff) it would be a great package deal for the guy swapping.

Attached picture 5910705-!!fiCcKQ!mE~$(KGrHqMOKjUEsnLf!v9gBLOMRp!5wQ~~_4.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/06/10 08:51 PM

Quote:

Blofish, here's a vent window rubber

http://www.dantesparts.com/truckweatherstrip.html

Ummmmm, I don't think so, you'd have to give me the part #. There's nothing in the a100 section, and the truck ones are different than a100's.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/07/10 12:48 AM

my fault, will delete. Please delete response too. Then this will go....
PO is in the mail

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/07/10 03:55 PM

O-tay, Im heading to Alaska for a the weekend, should/will get out to you next week.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/08/10 04:53 PM

PM @ ya.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/11/10 03:19 PM

Back at ya!
I've been soda blasting a friend's Challenger this weekend. It's his equipment, and I'm trading labor on this so I can use the stuff to do the van.
Still need to strip down the van, weld up holes and fix some dents before blasting, so it will be more soild and closer to ready when it all goes to bare metal.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/12/10 03:48 AM

Soda blasting is fun, huh? Did you guys get it all stripped?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/12/10 02:34 PM

Yeah, it's as done as you are going to get!

Nick sent this picture to me this afternoon.
A reminder to be aware out there in an early van...

Attached picture 5921316-ouchvan.jpg
Posted By: rhamson

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/13/10 01:41 PM

Sometimes when I am parts hunting in the junk yards I see something like this and I kind of peek at it hoping not to see any grotesque aftermath. I usually move along pretty quickly unless the wreck in question has something I need.

I can really relate to the danger inherent in the flat face vans of the 60's as I had a '65 Ford Econoline for about 6 years.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/14/10 06:19 PM

I could fix that! I'd need your parts van though.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/15/10 01:54 PM

Stubbs, got the doghouse seal, Thanks!
Going to try to get some stuff done today.
Have the motor in the air to check the oil pan and other parts. Will have to strip off the old paint and do a few minor things. I also want to build a cradle to hold it so I can lower the van over it to install.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/15/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

Stubbs, got the doghouse seal, Thanks!

No, Thank you. Hey, loved the Homer stamp!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/15/10 05:55 PM

Engine cradle:
That's the best way. Some things to consider:
Gotta have casters, there is no way the engine goes straight up or down, unless you take the front axle out. You'd probably want to have engine and tranny together as a unit, because supporting the tranny while manipulating the engine and van body can get tricky.

PS - picking my van from the alignment shop later today, we just finished putting big front disc brakes on it. Lots of snags along the way, seem to stop well now, though. We might design a system ourselves to prevent extra fab work.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/15/10 11:50 PM

Ran, I have a 4 post hoist at home, so was thinking of building something that I could set on my strong cart that would catch the oil pan rail in front and have a small jack in back to adjust the trans tailshaft height.
Engine and trans together, headers and all. Only leave off the front stuff, since the shroud would be a pain and to clear the axle with the pulleys.
Today I stripped both front doors out, still have a bunch more to do before soda blasting.
I saw more holes to weld up inside too....

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/16/10 01:08 AM

Yeah, that's the right idea, you lower the van over the engine/trans combo, then move the combo forward after you clear the axle.
Are you going to the Fling, btw?
Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/16/10 02:24 AM

Fling? No, too far for a short visit, hate LA traffic, and the tax man put a hurt on me!
I still have that other door, I'll get it to you someday! Snow has plans for SD in early July, so if something doesn't come up before then, I can bring it out then.

I did get the front door stuff removed today.
I wrote up a guide. Here's the link
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/between-the-seats-a-f16/stripping-front-doors-t12371.htm#46771

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/16/10 02:57 AM

That's a great write-up! Now if someone could do the same with cargo doors...I dread the thought of ever needing to take those apart.
Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/16/10 03:04 AM

Ran, here you go!
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/betwe...12388.htm#46834

All doors are now empty and ready.

I pulled the tail light housings out. I will need another, the left side was rusty and I tore it up getting it out. There wasn't any on the PU.

Also got all the rear harness out and removed the exhaust system and manifolds. I hung the headers in place to see how they work. They will be fine, but wouldn't work with the 3 speed linkage.

Can't seem to get the filler neck out. Any help or ideas on that?
Rear bumper is back off, got to modify the rotisserie brackets to fit. Also soaked a bunch of bolts underneath so they will come out easier when the rest is pulled out. Probably will pull the transmission and engine this weekend.

Attached picture 5928190-reardoors.gif

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/17/10 10:00 PM

I pulled the shift linkage, engine, trans, driveshaft, doghouse front, radiator, master cylinder and undertray out.
Pulled the engine out the top. Aside from it being in the dirt, it was pretty easy. The trans required some persuasion to break loose from the bellhousing, but otherwise all went smoothly.
Snow helped too!

Still have all the wiring harness, cluster, pedals, steering, both axles and brake/fuel lines, windshield and front bumper.
Then it should be ready for the rotisserie!!!
Still have to make mounts for that, but it's getting closer! I won't pull the axles and steering until that's ready and I've finished all the inside holes.

Attached picture 5931279-engine.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/17/10 10:14 PM

another shot

Attached picture 5931309-engtrans.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/18/10 09:03 PM

You pulled that out of the side door? Seems like it would be more of a pain. I would think it'd be easier out the front door, even though it's more narrow. Maybe I need to do the same when I get around to doing mine, even though I have a slant.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/19/10 08:45 PM

pulling the engine out the side didn't fight the tire that way...
Got the wiring harness, oil line, front bumper, brake lines, pedals and dash parts all stripped out.
Rear brake line, fuel line, and fishing out the loose filler neck to go before it's only a rolling chassis. The lines go through holes in the unibody members, I'll have to track down the grommets for those and develop a plan to reinstall.

EDIT Windshield is out. letters too, need to pull the clips....

Leaving the front and rear axles, steering and the driver seat in until it's ready for the rotisserie.
Hoping the metal guy will start work on it shortly. Some trade, some money and I hope that will be good. Still have a bunch of holes to weld up, but it's getting too windy out there today.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/20/10 12:40 AM

You are making good progress.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/20/10 09:42 PM

Quote:

pulling the engine out the side didn't fight the tire that way...

That makes sense, and it crossed my mind as well, but it just look like you wouldn't get a good lift from the side. I was thinking on pulling the tire and have a jackstand just to help give more wiggle room than wrestling with the tire in the way. I guess either way would work if you've done it that way!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/24/10 01:59 PM

A38s I've been slow on sending you the letter, I'll get it out today. Sorry it took so long.

MoparGnome and I went to Vegas yesterday to pick up a 2WD Ramcharger for him. Today I'm helping a friend swap out a transmission in his race Jeep.

I have a chance to pick up an Edelbrock 750 carb for 150, but I think I'll hold off until I'm ready for it. Still considering a new Summitt Holley 750 instead.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/28/10 05:24 PM

BTW, here is a picture of the Sportsman dash bezels complete off the dash.

Attached picture 5951994-bezeldash.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/28/10 05:26 PM

Ah. You need the other pieces too? No problemo.

No rush on the shipping. Sounds like more will be pulled for ya anyway.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/28/10 09:53 PM

I have a cast cluster bezel, but the one for the all across style has the extra part. I don't know if the shifter bezel is different (I have a regular one), but if it is different (cutouts or extensions), I'd want that too.
The whole thing is a bit off though, because it runs across the area where the crash pad bolts down and I do want to install that.

Attached picture 5952419-!Bjo9RE!!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiQEtN4Z4DP4BLUdZb01ew~~_3.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/29/10 05:06 PM

This auction has better pics of the fancy trim
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320523998067&viewitem=

Attached picture 5953974-!Br9dBSgCGk~$(KGrHqUH-CEEvPZTmQgkBL15JV(Qj!~~_3.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/29/10 10:57 PM

I have that trim in my van. I like it better

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/01/10 07:59 PM

I like it too, but really want to add the crash bar. I'll have to check how it all fits later.

A couple other points; the dash shifter area is a regular hole in the dash, no flange or lip. It also has an additional bracker spotwelded behind. I will not have to change dashes or section in part of it. I'll cut the opening and then weld in the backing part.

I got the filler neck out. As was mentioned on another site, the bottom of the box that it fits in is simply press fit. I used a hammer and a long rod to pop it out from the tail light opening.
The van is all cleared out now, and the rotisserie has been dropped off. I still need to do some more on it while on solid ground, and the brackets needed a bit more finessing, so it's still not hung yet.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/03/10 06:46 PM

I've gone around and marked all the spots that need work so there is no confusion with the metal guy. Hope to talk to him this afternoon.

Attached picture 5961747-lside.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/03/10 06:47 PM

Other side (worse)
without all the drivetrain, it's back up in the air! I'll probably pull a leaf from the front and rear when I get them out, cleaned and painted.

Attached picture 5961748-rside.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/03/10 06:47 PM

nose
The rotisserie is waiting in the background!

Attached picture 5961749-nose.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/03/10 06:48 PM

Tail
As you can see, I still have lots of outside holes to fill. I also have a dozen or so left inside.

Attached picture 5961757-tail.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/06/10 07:30 PM

Well, after the quote from the metal guy, the project is scaling back a lot.
The initial plan was a quick fix, drivetrain swap and get it on the road. White to cover the sins, and nothing special.

It grew, typical of mission creep, to a full on resto with a dark color to show how straight it was. The cost of a full body/paint is going to be too high. High enough to get the 40 on the road or the race car almost race-worthy. So.....

I'll be taking a local college course on bodywork and applying my novice skills to the shell, get it roughed out and painted White. No Purple, no blocking, not much metal finishing, closer to a cave and pave job.

It will be back on course to be a budget fun ride.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/15/10 11:08 PM

Dark paint equals big money spent on body work... amhik

Attached picture 5984337-tmpphpu9G8Rc.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/20/10 02:31 PM

Well, I'm enroled in the local body class this August, so I'll be tackling the body. Maybe I can get it straight enough for Purple...
Just picked up another B-van cheap. 360, auto (bad), 8.75 sure-grip, 15X7 steel wheels.
If the inside cleans up okay, I'll use it for storage. If not, it's getting parted and scrapped.

Attached picture 5993240-My1973Van(2).JPG
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/20/10 05:07 PM

Guys here in Indiana would be thrilled with a B-van that nice. You just don't see them that old here. Please don't scrap it.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/20/10 07:27 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm enroled in the local body class this August, so I'll be tackling the body. Maybe I can get it straight enough for Purple...
Just picked up another B-van cheap. 360, auto (bad), 8.75 sure-grip, 15X7 steel wheels.
If the inside cleans up okay, I'll use it for storage. If not, it's getting parted and scrapped.

I wish I lived in an area where you could "Just picked up another B-van cheap" or anything else for that matter. We just don't have yards with good old stuff anymore. Been watching this thread for a while and it looks like you making good progress I love those old A vans. Soooo cool!!. I had a B van I bought brand new in 74. Miss that sucker. Vans in general, still are just COOL!! Can't wait to see the final product

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/20/10 09:31 PM

Dave, this was a dorm for rats. If it is going to mess up anything I store in it and attract rats here, I don't want it. We don't have rats here, just bunnies. The van came from a wilder area about 30-40 miles away. I will try not to scrap it, okay?

Thanks Scott. Here's one near you for 700
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/1704887187.html

There are at least 5 more at 1000-1500.
I got mine cheaper, but it's because I'm always looking and ready. I got a good guy deal on this too, since we had met before.

There is another down here, but dead trans (like this one) and no title ...
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/1699040508.html

It's rare for the pre-78s to pop up, it's usually mid=80s. I like the early Bs too! This is my first, but I have 3 later ones.

I just threw a battery in it and it runs!
Next up is the pressure wash and wipe down. If it cleans up, it will be storage and maybe later get it driving.

This Brown one was 300, the White one 900
My other white one was 300
Various issues with the 2 cheap ones, but complete. One will give up it's trans to get the Blue one driving if it all works out.

Attached picture 5993808-vans.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/21/10 03:33 AM

After rats ate a Tuff Wheel, it's no holds barred. Rat pee is corrosive enough to eat thru paint and metal.

Hang in there. More parts coming!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/21/10 11:07 PM

Quote:

After rats ate a Tuff Wheel, it's no holds barred. Rat pee is corrosive enough to eat thru paint and metal.

Hang in there. More parts coming!

Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/22/10 06:42 AM

Quote:

If not, it's getting parted and scrapped.

Say WHAT!?!?

Send me a list or post (or just LMK if the list on the last page is current) of what you're looking for (other than rubber w-strip) and I'll have a look at a '69 which still has the /6 and trans complete. One bucket seat remains, no H/L trim rings, dash is mostly intact (not a Sportsman), left side of van is pinned against the wall. Might be good for some small itmes- clips, latches, dash stuff, etc.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/22/10 02:23 PM

Gee, no wonder those guys threaten scrapping in ads, this is the biggest response yet!
Not to worry, I swept it out and filled the back with various parts, then rolled it into the back row. Aside from the dash, it's all cleaned out from the former squatters. It should clean up pretty well, and I'll swap a good transmission into it so it will drive.

In The Pink: I have enough parts, although I'd like the roof trim it's not a big deal.
I have to concentrate on the removed stuff and the body for a while now. I'm doing a teflon seal on a friend's freshly painted (2 mos.)car today.

I do still need the vent window rubber, and so does Vantastic (see wanted section).

I'm not a Ford fan, but there are a pair of early Es for sale locally.
http://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/1751291184.html

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/22/10 02:49 PM

Quote:

I do still need the vent window rubber, and so does Vantastic (see wanted section).

I left some contact info in the Truck section for someome who knows about those seals. Via second hand info, I found out only one place makes the seals, they are $275 a pair, and the quality is not that great.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/23/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I left some contact info in the Truck section for someome who knows about those seals. Via second hand info, I found out only one place makes the seals, they are $275 a pair, and the quality is not that great.

That's what I keep hearing

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/23/10 11:20 PM

I have once again been an instigator!

A friend has mentioned a couple times since I brought the van home that he wanted an A-100 pickup. This got pretty loud when he saw my parts truck. "It's a shame that was cut up..." that sort of thing. Well, a guy posted an EBay auction on the vintage vans forum. I would have dropped the dime, but I just got the 73 van and I'm waiting on a check. So, I give him a call, and he says pull the trigger. So I hit the buy it now. We are going to pick it up next weekend.

Attached picture 5999127-!Bt-LRgQ!2k~$(KGrHqYOKjoEvN4,4eNlBL-WlgFGBg~~_3.jpg
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/24/10 01:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks Scott. Here's one near you for 700
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/1704887187.html

Too new And a hi top
Anyway not really shopping; just missing
But thanks anyway

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/24/10 02:00 AM

Sorry but you aren't going to find a clean 72-75 shorty, no window, V8/auto, PDB, A/C for under a grand very often!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/24/10 04:26 AM

Quote:

I have once again been an instigator!

A friend has mentioned a couple times since I brought the van home that he wanted an A-100 pickup. This got pretty loud when he saw my parts truck. "It's a shame that was cut up..." that sort of thing. Well, a guy posted an EBay auction on the vintage vans forum. I would have dropped the dime, but I just got the 73 van and I'm waiting on a check. So, I give him a call, and he says pull the trigger. So I hit the buy it now. We are going to pick it up next weekend.

I heard about this one today! Are you guys trying to supply me with a lifetime supply of work?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/24/10 01:12 PM

Hey, I thought you liked bodywork!

Look at it this way, the sanding blocks will be the same!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/24/10 05:51 PM

I'd rather be painting but for you guys I guess I will do some body work. At least getting paid wont be a problem!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/06/10 09:32 PM

Instigator again!
Mopar Ron asked about my friend's A-100 PU, and has now got another one from the same seller!
See his thread https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Test&Number=6023360
I don't know if this is a Moparts bandwagon, but the rest of you that want one better jump while prices are down!
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/07/10 02:49 PM

Quote:

Instigator again!
Mopar Ron asked about my friend's A-100 PU, and has now got another one from the same seller!
See his thread https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Test&Number=6023360
I don't know if this is a Moparts bandwagon, but the rest of you that want one better jump while prices are down!

yep better jump on them while you can. we are happy with this one thanks again John

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/22/10 04:10 AM

update with nothing new. Have to wait until I get into the body class to make big strides, and I have a trip planned then have a home life that will be taking some time.
Hope to at least get the spare front end marked and disassembled soon. Since I put it in writing, I'll have to follow through!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/26/10 07:39 PM

Front springs are off and apart. I'm planning on leaving the 3rd and 5th out and see how it sits.
Body shop class starts in a month, so I have to get going on welding up the remaining holes and bang out what I feel comfortable doing so there won't be so much to get done in class.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/27/10 12:27 AM

How about the rear?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/27/10 03:05 AM

The parts truck didn't come with one, so that will have to wait until I put the thing up on the rotesserie. I bought a set of steep gears, another center case and the latest van has a sure grip. I'll combine all that into a swappable 3rd member.
I really haven't done much on it for a while, I'm working on other people's stuff and my other cars. I've gotta get out there and get moving!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/14/10 04:22 PM

Got all the side holes, dash holes and all interior holes welded. Still have around 10 left on the back and roof.

Thanks, Mopargnome!

Need to grind too.

We had to put our dog to sleep after old age caught up with her. She never got a ride in the van...
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/15/10 02:15 AM

Quote:

We had to put our dog to sleep after old age caught up with her. She never got a ride in the van...

THAT sucks.
My condolences, we lost a longtime family member a while back. Tough times. Our hearts go out to you and yours....

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/16/10 09:33 PM

No problem! Have fun grinding. Sorry about Shady, she was a cool dog.
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Got myself an A100! *DELETED* - 09/01/10 02:40 AM

Post deleted by Randy K
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/01/10 03:23 AM

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/01/10 07:40 PM

Sorry about the dog RodStRace...
So - is this now a general "got my self an A100" thread? Not criticizing, just asking...
Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/02/10 12:00 AM

Randy, you are going to need a shorty BB 727 (70's 4X4 divorced transfer case). Start looking now!
Have no idea on the A weight, my 89 B just dropped off a load at the dump and empty it weighed 4180 w/me (205)!

Superfreak and Kick, thanks. It's still tough.

Ran, the more the merrier, I can share!

As an update, I'm in the body shop class, hope to start actually working on it tomorrow or next week.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/02/10 04:14 AM

Quote:

Randy, you are going to need a shorty BB 727 (70's 4X4 divorced transfer case). Start looking now!
already have one.
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/04/10 02:38 PM

Thanks for pointing me towards this thread. Lotsa cool ideas. Mines a 67 that I completely redid all the mechanics on for a guy a few years ago. He drove it 2 months and parked it in his barn. I got it back now and after some tweaking and fluid changes , it runs like a dream. Just gotta pull all the trim and touch up a few spots and away. I must say thats a wierd driving experience if ya havent driven one in forever. LOL

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/08/10 02:56 AM

Still fixing the test panel for the class.
I did get some work done Friday. Pulling some creases on the RF and under the side doors.

Pulled the parts front axle apart some too. Going to clean and paint, since the kingpins are tight.
Doubt I'll have the funds to do a disc conversion in the near future, so the backing plates and drums will get a cleanup too.

Took the 47 down to class today, and of course it stood me up. Fuel issues, seems like the gas is old and has junk in it. Plenty of fuel in the glass filter on the inlet, just not enough flow thru the main jet. Looks pretty nasty too, like tea. The tank was cleaned and the carb too. Guess I'll drain the tank and fill with fresh stuff, then pull the carb top and get the junk out.
Gotta love old cars!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/08/10 07:22 PM

Regarding the disc brake stuff, don't think you'll end up spending as I much as had to (under the unique circumstances), we can try and figure soemthing out together, if you want to.
Otherwise, glad to hear there is some progress.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/11/10 03:11 PM

Ran, I appreciate the offer.
Gotta figure out the budget for the chrome and all the little parts I need to replace when reassembling.
Looking at
~400 for body seals
~400 per bumper chrome X 2
~400 for grille chrome
? for the rest of the chrome (emblems, handles, pop out window parts and polish the pie pans)
I cringe to think of the dash bezel, shifter bezel, and dash strip. The shifter handle is riveted into the shifter too.
? on Windshield glass
~150 for belts, hoses and misc. on the engine
~400 for exhaust
? to shorten driveshaft
? doghouse insulation
New brake hoses, battery cables, battery, and a bunch of little stuff.
Still have to buy paint stuff too. Figure easily ~1500 with the blasting soda, prep stuff, primer, paint and masking stuff.
I'd rather get it going with drums and swap later. Even if I could work out a disc swap for a few hundred, it would take something else off the get it painted and running list, and I don't have all the cash for that yet!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/13/10 07:34 AM

Sure, no problem
We're working in two different approaches, and I think yours might turn out better in the long run.
Anyway to add a number for your list, I think the doghouse insulation kit I bought was $89+s/h IIRC.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/19/10 05:02 PM

Arrg!
Worked on the barnacle encrusted lower rear corners Friday (open shop day) and got them a lot better. Have to weld up previous holes and a crack that developed along a crease on the LR. No pictures, can't find the camera cord!
Both should be ready for a skim of after the .

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/01/10 09:51 PM

Still haven't found my camera cable...

For those following along these videos have been posted before in other areas, but this way they can be found here

Dodge Technical Service Bulletin for the A-100
(slideshow style!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcewnrO5vIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J-KeyDRZU&feature=related

batmobile parachute pickup service

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1KP6abs4w
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/03/10 04:54 PM

Hows it going man? I been driving the wheel off mine. I love it!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/08/10 01:42 AM

Beating the metal back into sort of shape. Not that good yet at getting stuff as smooth as I'd like, but learning.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/08/10 04:12 AM

Your better than you are giving yourself credit for. It's coming along, slowly, but nicely. Keep it up and in no time it will be done.
Posted By: bigsexy440

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/08/10 07:15 PM

Just a thought on the white... if you wanted something that wasn't just white, but a little different, I think the recent "Cool Vanilla" color would look amazing on this dude.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/13/10 02:58 AM

Not a fan of off-Whites.
The point was to have a bright, true White that would glare so much you wouldn't be able to see the bodywork flaws!
The paint guys say that Tan and Pale Yellow are actually better for hiding.
I did see a commercial for a Mazda 2 in Spirited Green Metallic last night. Deeper than Kawasaki Green, it looked pretty good on the screen.
I still am leaning toward the 2010 Dodge Purple for a dark color though. No school today, hoping to be able to go in tomorrow to make it up. Thursday I'm supposed to pull the driver's corner out a bit on the rack.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/13/10 01:43 PM

I saw the green Mazda commercial last night also and was thinking to myself that it was a cool color. Like you said, it looked good on the screen.

Joe

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/15/10 08:41 PM

So, I bent up some wire to form the rear fender flares and laid some tape over it to check the shape.
Still trying to decide if I like them or not.
Otherwise, I'll have to adjust them or get repair panels and have the tires stick out.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/16/10 12:36 AM

I didn't know you were considering flaring the fenders. That would be different

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/16/10 12:41 AM

Well, I gotta do something, they were hacked out for the previous off-road wheels and tires.

Attached picture 6252510-DSCF1454.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/16/10 03:04 AM

Well then you really have no option in my opinion. That's a shame they were cut

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/16/10 03:46 AM

A little of that late 70s look........ why not.
Press on my good man.
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/18/10 01:17 AM

Vans look sweet with the flares! I say go for it and you will not be sorry!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/18/10 05:19 PM

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/20/10 02:11 AM

can find lots of B vans with flairs but not many have done the "A" vans, here are 2

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/20/10 03:00 AM

Thanks, Ron!

EDIT: I can also take the wire forms to the local yard and try to find a donor, now that I have something that is close to the shape.

This one is a bit too bulbous for me. I was considering using a motorcycle fender blank, but figured it would end up like this. I think I read that one was done with a VW bug fender.

Nice but a tiny bit too flat. Gosh, I'm sounding like Goldilocks!
I considered dropping the back of the flare like that, but decided it would look too tail heavy. I'm only doing the rears.
I've decided that I'll redo the wire form so it's 29" across (same as the tire) rather than 31" (one inch extra per side) as it is now. 275/60R15s.
Scary, Discount has only one brand in that size now...Cooper

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/27/10 10:26 PM

The priceline van build picture link is now dead, so I put them on photobucket

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm49/rodstrace/A-100/priceline%20van/

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/28/10 07:44 PM

Huh, IRS! I wonder what vehicle is that from.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/28/10 09:49 PM

I thought so too, but when I posted about it and uploaded the pics, I looked again and that's under a truck (see the running boards and brackets?).
An IRS would make different trans and engine placement easier, since the driveshaft would only have to connect to 2 solid objects.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/04/10 11:32 PM

Went to the local U Pick it today to get some stuff and avoid the 2 other vans that are rolling around in my head. Got lucky and found a 64 window van in there!
Got a bunch of stuff and will go back tomorrow to cut out some more.
Will post pics later.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/06/10 03:54 PM

So now I will probably not do the flares!

BEFORE

AFTER

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/06/10 08:09 PM

Score!
Got a lot of good parts and the wheelwells as shown in the last post.
Hate to cut up a nice, rust-free body, but it's fate was already decided when it was dragged to the yard.

Attached picture 6341625-smallIMG_0467.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/08/10 12:58 AM

you didn't get that sweet roof rack?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/10/10 09:39 AM

Nice scores! You finally found a decent rear chrome bumper. I'm very glad

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/10/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

Nice scores! You finally found a decent rear chrome bumper. I'm very glad

Ran

So am I!!! It's got a bit of a tweek, and is a little rusty, but the best yet!

The econoline guys are going nuts over a van in the local yard. I stripped a few items Tuesday, and will be going back tomorrow. Lots of work and money out at Christmas/tax time, hoping that it all works out.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/12/10 03:01 AM

Nice score. It didn't happen to have any front bumper guards did it?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/12/10 07:33 PM

no bumper guards

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/14/10 01:35 AM

Just some pictures from this afternoon to show where it's at today. The brackets are for the rotisserie when I'm ready for that. Still have some metal work to finish and straighten out the roof. That will happen next semester in the paint class.
I've been busy stripping an A-100 and an Econoline in the local yard. The vintage van guys want parts!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/10 04:55 AM

In the pic from the rear those flairs look pretty good.
Posted By: demon440

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/15/10 01:47 PM

That thing is Way Cool, I wish we had
stuff that nice around here.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/04/11 03:33 AM

Well, I signed up for another semester of body shop, so I hope to get all the metal work done by the end of class.
Then onto blast/prime/bondo/block paint.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/17/11 06:39 PM

Got some more metal work done on the van, still need to patch in both rear wheel wells and the LF nose where I pulled it out. Also need to work the roof.
I'm stopping work on the van for now and working on some golf cart plastic. A few of us here go to the MATS each year, and buying a cart was cheaper than renting. Got it running well, just needed to make it a bit prettier. All parts are removed and sanded down. Need to repair a bump on the 2 nose parts and a tear on one seat upright, then prime and paint at the college.

Attached picture 6480941-paintvan.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/18/11 05:18 PM

Posted By: R1zbear

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/25/11 04:21 AM

Quote:

I have that trim in my van. I like it better

me too

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/18/11 05:33 AM

Well, I went and did it, bought another A, this time an A-108.
I will just clean this one up a bit and drive it, while I work on the 100.
I swapped the Cragars on and installed the bumpers that were laying in back.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/19/11 01:35 AM

What did that run ya................. a case of beer and a pack of cigs?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/19/11 03:44 AM

Hey, that's MY place, not where I bought it!

Paid a bit more than I hoped (over 1K), but it's a running driving /6 auto. Spent an hour or 2 tonight putting in angle shims on the front axle to get caster back. Also backed off the tight LF brake and adjusted the headlights. One dash bulb and the dome bulb out, everything else works. I haven't check the reverse lights yet.
It's kinda fun to drive around, but I think I'm going to have to do something with the seats. They are a bit tall and I have to lean way back or scrunch to fit.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/19/11 07:58 AM

Congrats (I think)
As long as you resist the temptation to turn this into a project, you should be good.

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/19/11 02:57 PM

Thanks, Ran.
This will require a bit more work, but it's responding well to TLC so far.
No big plans, just get it a bit more road worthy and comfortable. Maybe a bit of visual primping.
It will also serve as a great example of how stuff goes back together!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/21/11 08:33 PM

your as bad as me.
can't pass up the deals when they show up(when I have the $$$$)
have fun with it and keep posting pics of the other one Ron....

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/22/11 04:27 AM

Thanks Ron. This one is just a driver.
Got it titled, registered and insured today and drove it to body shop class and back. Seems to have a top speed of ~55-65 MPH, depending on the grade.
Drove well and it was fun to drive one instead of just beat the metal.
I have a few things I'd like to do to it, but nothing major.
Install a vent in place of the plywood covering the hole, swap out the thermostat and upper hose, fix the rear spring hangers and put blocks in to keep the height, add some curtains behind the seats and in the rear, and hope to find some panel side doors. Oh, and do something with the seats. They are bolted to the outside, but just resting on the doghouse on the inside and too tall for me to drive comfortably, unless I lean waaay back!
I may end up painting it at some point, but it will be a quick , not a full resto job.
It's strange how the 108s do not have the character line behind the front doors. I may have noticed it before, but it didn't really sink in until I got this one.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/22/11 04:45 AM

Mess with ths susp too much, and they'll eyeball you as an illegal transporter.

Have fun!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/25/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

It's strange how the 108s do not have the character line behind the front doors. I may have noticed it before, but it didn't really sink in until I got this one.

WOW, I never noticed that before either.
"interesting"

I have to stop looking at this thread, I find myself checking out vans for sale,
to many other projects to finish

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/27/11 04:54 AM

I thought this would be done by now? What the heck you been doing???? Cant wait to see it done. I now wish I had kept the one I had with the 340 in it.

Hope all is well, you going to MATS???

Dave

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/27/11 03:50 PM

This is my first body work deal, I'm not as fast as your pros!
Plus, I've been busy with the golf cart and bought another van.
Hope to start back up on the 100 next week. Gotta put a sunroof in the 89 this week. It has big rust holes in the front roof ribs that leak. Rather than try to patch them up, I grabbed a sunroof so I can just cut out all the bad area.
Will be at MATS, look for a Furious Fuchsia golf cart.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/27/11 07:55 PM

Quote:

This is my first body work deal, I'm not as fast as your pros!
Plus, I've been busy with the golf cart and bought another van.
Hope to start back up on the 100 next week. Gotta put a sunroof in the 89 this week. It has big rust holes in the front roof ribs that leak. Rather than try to patch them up, I grabbed a sunroof so I can just cut out all the bad area.
Will be at MATS, look for a Furious Fuchsia golf cart.

I CANT MAKE mats AGAIN THIS YEAR. Lets see the golf cart?

Dave

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/27/11 11:35 PM

Just got back from hanging the body parts.
The nose is not tightened up all the way, we have to fab up some roof supports. That's the aluminum chunk stick out the side...

Attached picture 6552914-cart.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/28/11 05:10 AM

Some more progress to show.
Got the driver side wheelwell tacked in. Still needs filler parts the compensate for the rise.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/28/11 09:33 PM

Man am I glad I didn't have to go through any of that. Patience is a virtue huh?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/29/11 05:20 AM

Quote:

Man am I glad I didn't have to go through any of that. Patience is a virtue huh?

Patience is when welding all the gaps, grinding, then welding again, repeat a few more times....
and you still see a couple holes
Still have 3 more small patches and the other wheelwell

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/29/11 06:03 AM

Lookin good!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/06/11 05:50 AM

Passenger side
Have the rear filler part tacked in too.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/23/11 11:48 PM

Coming along nicely.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/02/11 10:36 PM

Well, the summer school lab got cancelled (only 9 enrolled, needed 12), so I'll have to fiddle with it at home for now.
Got the LF lower corner cut out of the parts PU to patch the van. Now I just need to get the PU shell back off the trailer and go get the van.

To update a couple things mentioned earlier, the sunroof didn't fit the 89 van, so it's still got holes in the roof. Shoulda measured...
Got curtains in the 108 and took it to the local Mopar show. Also put in a cheap stereo. Will have to build a bracket for it, I don't wnat to cut the non-radio dash.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/17/11 09:28 PM

Here we go again! The paint and body guy that quoted me a high price to get the 100 in shape had a similar van. We were going to trade out the PU shell for some work, and he could use it to fix his van. Well, he wanted too much for the work, and too much for the van back then. Fast forward to now and he's passed the van along to another guy who was much more reasonable on the price of the rusty ol van. So I now have another parts van, although I really don't need any more parts. Maybe my friend with the A-100 PU can use some.
Still good for storage, once I clear out all the usual cra... valuable items stored within!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/19/11 04:56 AM

In keeping with using this post as a diary of the van and stuff in my life, I must post that my father died at 11:20 this morning.
We are a small family, both my parents are only children and all the grandparents are dead. So now it's just my mom, my brother and me.
My dad had Alzheimer's and his body held on long past his mind. He was dignosed fully back in 1995. He was always great about fitness and they expected him to last 1-2 years in 2005. I hate to loose him, but he was not there for years now. RIP Dad, I love you!
No need to comment, just needed to document. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Devil

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/21/11 10:38 PM

Ah crappers man, I am so sorry to hear that. I know how it is with a small family. But that's what friends are for.

Best of luck in these trying times. Carpe Diem!
Posted By: rhamson

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/22/11 12:48 PM

My condolences as well. I have lost both my parents in the last two years so I know how it feels. I had a grandmother who lived till she was 97 but the last 15 years she suffered from dementia and did not know who or where she was.
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/22/11 02:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your father...

For any idea on the van why don't you go the hot rod way i did on my A-100 when i was in high school.

You know all gutted with a 440 stuffed in it. Heck i want someone to do that again so i can get a ride in it!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/22/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

For any idea on the van why don't you go the hot rod way i did on my A-100 when i was in high school.
You know all gutted with a 440 stuffed in it. Heck i want someone to do that again so i can get a ride in it!

I wasn't going to go crazy with it at first, just a nice clean retro deal. Then the body/paint grew into a monster. I already have a warmed up 360 sitting in the garage, so that was a given. The trans is freshened up too.
However, the whole thing has slightly morphed into more of a show/fairgrounds/cruise night deal, so I have considered a BB. I have an extra A-100 trans so I'd need to get a BB 727 and have the parts assembled. I assume the engine mounts would be very close, maybe a bit of fab work. The big question then is cooling. I'd like to know what you did on yours. Let me know more about what you di and what you'd do different. I do have an extra 400 engine in the garage now too.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/22/11 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't going to go crazy with it at first, just a nice clean retro deal. Then the body/paint grew into a monster. I already have a warmed up 360 sitting in the garage, so that was a given. The trans is freshened up too.
However, the whole thing has slightly morphed into more of a show/fairgrounds/cruise night deal, so I have considered a BB. I have an extra A-100 trans so I'd need to get a BB 727 and have the parts assembled. I assume the engine mounts would be very close, maybe a bit of fab work. The big question then is cooling. I'd like to know what you did on yours. Let me know more about what you di and what you'd do different. I do have an extra 400 engine in the garage now too.

Heck i just used the stock radiator that came with the 318 and never had any issues but then i left the engine housing off all the time. So maybe that helped??

Oh and yes it was LOUD!!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/26/11 02:33 AM

Here's the story of Mark Marx's A-100 van. He is the guy who painted my road runner too.

http://www.truckinweb.com/brandpages/dodge/0606tr_custom_1966_dodge_a100_van/index.html

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/26/11 03:02 AM

Thanks, Stu. I've seen this before, but it's a nice link for this thread.
Others
Hemi PU
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/trucks/1967_dodge_a100/index.html

ugh, scooby
http://trucktrend.automotive.com/162734/163-news110614-mystery-machine-auction/index.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/dodge-a100-hell-project/

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/10/11 07:56 PM

Just catching up after returning from vacation, my condolences about your dad.

I've been offered a Travelco parts van for $100, not really interested, are you? If not next contender would be Nick's Garage...

Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/10/11 08:29 PM

Thanks, Ran.

I doubt Nick has the room. If you knew how many he has and how he has them all stashed (I don't know if HE knows all!)....

I am pushing the limits here (it would make 8!).
It would cost more in fuel than purchase. Can you PM pics?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/11/11 07:16 PM

No pics, sorry

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/27/11 04:07 AM

Just picked up another van, THANKS AZ A12BEE!!!
It's not an early, but it's got potential!

Attached picture 6797174-daji99ban.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/30/11 08:20 PM

Oh NOse!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/05/11 10:03 PM

So as an update, here are 3 of the herd.

Attached picture 6857796-IMG_1160.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/05/11 10:05 PM

and the newest, lowered in front, 17 Dodge alloys and new tires, spaced out front and back. Still need to drop the rear.

Attached picture 6857798-IMG_1161.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/18/11 02:58 AM

Still working through stuff on the A-100, got some parts for the others at Fall Fling.
I have the patches for the front and side pretty much ready, just need to do the rear one.
Also, so I don't forget, I need to do the LF back shock bracket and cut the hole for the shifter.
I hope to do the first round of blasting soon, mainly bolt-on parts and stuff. These I can hand off to MoparGnome and get them into primer and start the bodywork process.
The vans at FF were good inspiration. I'm doing a big job on the 100 and running the 108 as-is.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/18/11 09:14 PM

Oops, forgot about the fall fling...Any good vans?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/18/11 10:34 PM

When I was there a very nice A-100 (Yellow), a ratty/cool A-108 (White with a clown freehanded on both sides) and an early B (Blue).
I haven't put my pics on the computer yet. They are shown in the FF thread.

Attached picture 6877570-IMG_1195.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/19/11 09:50 PM

The yellow one.
Notice the 68 side markers, nice!

Attached picture 6879082-IMG_1198.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/20/11 04:42 PM

That's different.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/22/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

When I was there a very nice A-100 (Yellow), a ratty/cool A-108 (White with a clown freehanded on both sides) and an early B (Blue).
I haven't put my pics on the computer yet. They are shown in the FF thread.

I thought that it was more of a tiki than a clown.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/23/11 03:22 PM

Fire van

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/01/11 08:31 PM

Got another one!
A camper this time, 1969 Lazy Daze A-100 V8 auto.
This is the one that's been listed many times over the past months, with no reply. Finally got an email through to Tom.
REAL interesting getting a 90"+ wide camper on an 84" wide trailer. It's home and I'll see how good it is mechanically. Will use the grille and reverse lights on the 69 A-108.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/01/11 09:07 PM

Cool! I'd say it's time to update your signature
Ran
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/02/11 02:51 AM

Have you been over to Bob Riggle's house? (Hemi Under Glass driver). He lives in Chino Valley and when I saw him last week he said for you to stop by sometime. He is working on an A-100 wheelstander right now, he is leaning towards putting in a 6.1 Hemi. Glad you got the camper, is it saveable?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/02/11 04:05 AM

I know he lives here, and the past owner of the house described about where he is, but I'm not sure exactly where. If you can PM a location, that would be great.
I have heard thru the grapevine that after his HUG retirement at MATS, he decided to whip up an A-100.
Gene Adams (early hemi drag engines) lives out here too.
Saveable?
That will depend on the mechanicals. Hoping to at least see if it runs, moves and stops before making that decision. The roof has leaks and rot. The inside looks like it should clean up. The exterior is okay, haven't really looked at the underside. If it can be done on a budget, I will try after some of the others get finished.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/02/11 06:15 AM

i'm confused here. is this the "i got 100 A's" thread? damn, you are a A truck magnet!!! you guys have it pretty good out there, in that valley. i'm loving this thread!! /envy

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/02/11 03:18 PM

There are 2 more that I know of in the area.
One is a bad hack job camp trailer made out of a van. Channel frame, tin front where it was chopped offf behind the front doors, a wood stove stuffed inside. They want the same amount of money as I paid for the lazy and it's got little to no decent parts left.
The other is an Orange A-108 panel. It hasn't moved in the 3 years I've lived here. It was advertised once on CL for 2800 about a year and a half ago. I'd say it's worth ~1500. IIRC, it has a /6. Can't remember what trans.
Oh, and the A-100 that Riggle is building, but I haven't seen that one yet. So I guess I'm cornering the market...
There was another advertised on CL a while ago, never saw it, it may have been sold out of the area.

Oh, and the A-100 PU I have in my backyard that a friend bought out in LA.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/02/11 11:05 PM

I vacuumed and did a quick wipe down. Here's the interior.
The brakes have NO pedal, will have to try fluid and see if/where it leaks.
No power brakes or steering (fine by me).
Some water damage inside and an 8" rotted section of wood in the roof so far.
Will have to crawl around/under it to find out more.

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/04/11 05:37 AM

Quote:

I know he lives here, and the past owner of the house described about where he is, but I'm not sure exactly where. If you can PM a location, that would be great.
I have heard thru the grapevine that after his HUG retirement at MATS, he decided to whip up an A-100.
Gene Adams (early hemi drag engines) lives out here too.
Saveable?
That will depend on the mechanicals. Hoping to at least see if it runs, moves and stops before making that decision. The roof has leaks and rot. The inside looks like it should clean up. The exterior is okay, haven't really looked at the underside. If it can be done on a budget, I will try after some of the others get finished.

I tried to PM you but like me, your limit has been exceeded! BTW, there is a A108 window van near me that was an ex-fire dept van and has a 413 in it! I may try to buy it soon...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/05/11 04:36 PM

ebay A100 and Tubbed A100 truck

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/05/11 11:22 PM

It's official, you will never finish

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/22/11 10:16 PM

Swapped the grille from the RV into the 108, and added bumpers from the Silver 66 too.
Swapped in the stock driver's seat, still have to add the passenger one.

Re: Got myself an A100! *DELETED* - 11/22/11 10:17 PM

Post deleted by RodStRace

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/22/11 10:24 PM

and here's the 66 project on the rotisserie

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/22/11 11:24 PM

Nice work so far!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/03/11 08:00 PM

Not working on them today!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/04/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

Not working on them today!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 12/05/11 10:20 PM

I have reset the body on the rotisserie.

Also finishing up on the wheelwells.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/03/12 09:45 PM

Okay, so I grabbed some other parts and set it up to rotate.
There are 2 "L" sections and a short chunk that slips into the ends. These provided a footprint that was longer than the van sideways.

I also removed the wheels front and rear.

We then lifted the pivot points and locked the van higher and presto! It's sideways!~

This makes it a lot easier to work on the roof and other sections for my buddy, the painter.

I also was able to start getting all the dirt out of the underside. That is a big problem on an older southwestern car...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/04/12 05:38 PM

Your painter looks familiar! Putting on its side made the roof much easier!
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/05/12 04:05 PM

shucks, , "dirt",,, hhmm it be 15 lbs of rust here in OHIO!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/05/12 04:45 PM

Yeah, I try not to buy midwest cars!
Very little rust on this thing. Mainly little spots down low where the dirt blocked the drains.
Eat your heart out, this is not even hosed off yet, just as it was pulled apart and flipped.
The shiny spots in the middle are welded up holes.
The stuff around the rear wheelwells is very minor surface rust.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/01/12 05:37 AM

No pics of the short bus?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/03/12 01:14 AM

Quote:

Um, the Yellow A-108 is long. You are a fine one to toss around 'short'!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/03/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Um, the Yellow A-108 is long. You are a fine one to toss around 'short'!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/17/12 05:06 AM

and how it looks today

"AWESOME"!!!!!!!!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/17/12 05:43 AM

That thing was fun to cruise around in! Everybody seemed to love it.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/22/12 04:18 AM

Awsome indeed!
Ran

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/22/12 04:09 PM

Thanks guys! It was fun cruising around. Got some wiper refills, so it shouldn't rain for a few months!
The 100 is holding for now, I need to get the soda to blast it.
Will work on the engine on the 108.
Still haven't met Bob here, although I did say Hi at MATS.
Here's the other complete 108 in the area.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 04/27/12 01:24 AM

and here's a before and after...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/01/12 08:39 PM

Got the spoiler installed on the 108 today.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/03/12 06:15 PM

Quote:

Got the spoiler installed on the 108 today.

Seriously makes all the difference

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/20/12 04:34 PM

Took the to a local Mopar car show yesterday, and even though it's a low buck driver, I got 2nd place in the truck/jeep class!
Found a picture online of it.
Going to mountain Motor Madness next weekend. This is a show at the college where I painted the van.

http://www.yc.edu/v4content/yavapai-college-foundation/m3.htm

Attached picture 7213491-van.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/27/12 03:13 AM

No progress to report on the van, work and other stuff is filling the time. I did grab a bunch of stuff from a 1970 A-108 in the local yard.
A front axle with the big drums for the 108, a pair of solid side doors, just in case I find another van but I'll pull the linkage out so the 108 works right.
Also a few other little items and a steering column/box for my friend who has the PU in my backyard.
Really hoping to get the thing blasted soon, then prime it all and weld in the patches. Still haven't decided on SB or BB.
I have a design for the interior in mind, but not all the little details yet.
Still need to pull the doghouse off the 108 and do all the stuff on the /6; replace alt. bracket, scrub down the engine, change out the t'stat and hose, drill out the broken intake stud, swap manifolds and carb, paint it all up and install the chrome VC.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/29/12 04:12 PM

Thanks for posting all these updates, and especially the underside pics, as those are priceless.

I'm working in a 1/43 scale A-100 and it's time to work on the frame rails, crossmembers, and floor so those pics are very much coming in handy, both here and on the Vintage Vans 'site.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/29/12 04:29 PM

you are welcome. I've got more pics detailing the underdash and the area under the floor where the wiring, brake pedal and linkage, E brake brackets and throttle all travel at home. I took them to help assembly. I can post them next week. I doubt you will replicate them on a 1:43 model though!
There are nice diecast ones in about 1:25 too. I got the phone co. version from my SO.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/30/12 03:25 AM

Quote:

you are welcome. I've got more pics detailing the underdash and the area under the floor where the wiring, brake pedal and linkage, E brake brackets and throttle all travel at home. I took them to help assembly. I can post them next week. I doubt you will replicate them on a 1:43 model though!

Yeah, not taking this one that far, but the underside pics were a huge help.

What is that right angle bracket for, the one centered on the last crossmember, just forward of the rearend? It's not for the pinion snubber, is it?

Attached picture 7270689-rodsa100.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 06/30/12 04:02 AM

There was no snubber on the rear axle.
I can take a look Monday.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 03:36 AM

Here's the one on the 66 shell

Attached picture 7274916-IMG_1718.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 03:38 AM

Here's the one on the 69. Note that this one has the rear shackles upside down, moving the rear axle away from the body...

Attached picture 7274917-IMG_1719.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 03:39 AM

Here's the one under the silver van.
It actually looks like this one might even work with the snubber attached to the axle!

Attached picture 7274922-IMG_1720.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Here's the one under the silver van.
It actually looks like this one might even work with the snubber attached to the axle!

Lets hope you never have to find out.
Posted By: 17dodgebros

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 10:52 PM

this van is awesome!!!!!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/03/12 11:27 PM

Quote:

this van is awesome!!!!!

Thanks, but which one?
66 A-100 that is the long term major project
66 A-100 parts van
69 parts RV/PU
69 RV
69 A-108 monster?

I'd guess you mean the last, since it's the only one complete that has had work done...
It's been sitting in the back; I need to get it out and do up the engine. Maybe if it's cool tomorrow, I'll get started.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/05/12 02:35 AM

The 02 died and wouldn't start. Pulled codes and it kicked out Crank sensor, so I replaced it. Still wouldn't start, so I checked some more. Turns out the fuel pump makes noise but no pressure. Getting a fuel pump module Saturday.

So, in the mean time, i got some done on the 108, check it out at post #101 here.
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t20340p90-rod-s-az-a-108

Before

After (still more to be done)

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/29/12 06:11 AM

it's a sickness, I tell ya!
Got another, a 1968 100 window eight door!!! with V8 auto
Here's a crappy pic...

Attached picture 7311914-IMG_1773.JPG

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/29/12 05:50 PM

I think you need medical help

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/29/12 11:54 PM

I don' need no Doctor!
Although the SO would disagree...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 07/30/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

I don' need no Doctor!
Although the SO would disagree...

I saw her at the store friday, and yes, she thinks you need a doctor. Cool van though!

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/01/12 10:17 PM

yes you have a sickness but a good one.
now you need a no side door one

looks like it had a fire at one time?
or is that just desert heat paint burn? Ron...

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/01/12 11:25 PM

It was an LA town van. No desert until the ride.
Story goes that the fire was electrical, guy took it to a shop who did some work and left a wire on the exhaust.
Guy drove it home and WOOF!
Judging from the remains, I'd guess it was the main battery cable from battery to solenoid or solenoid to starter.
That's the area with the most cooking.
The entire roof is singed or worse inside, and no paint on top from the windshield back to the quarters.
Spent a little time yesterday clearing out all the stuff inside. The seller had been collecting a bunch of parts to redo the van and cleaned up the mess inside, but had not done any renovation. I did get a bunch of good parts so the stuff I need is a alot less and I have a wiring harness and engine to swap in.
The big thing is the roof (buckled) and body/paint. I hope to get going on it when class starts again. I do have another parts van with a nice roof if it comes to that.
The big thing aside from the body is the rear sub-harness and engine harness, both of which I can make from scratch if I can't find good replacements.

Attached picture 7317381-IMG_1799.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/05/12 04:54 AM

I would kill to have a straight rear bumper like that! I run without one cause I can't find a good enough core to re-chrome..

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/05/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

I would kill to have a straight rear bumper like that! I run without one cause I can't find a good enough core to re-chrome..

It actually has a bit of a tweak to it in the left side that the paint and angle hide.

Gotta get it off the trailer today and look it over a bit more.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/23/12 04:42 AM

Update:
The 108 is still waiting on me drilling out the 3 broken bolts before bolting it back together. Gotta do the freeze plugs, thermostat, rad hoses and doghouse insulation too.
The A-100 that started this is sitting waiting on an open spot so that once it is blasted, I can get it primed ASAP. In the meantime, it's sitting on the rotisserie on the side of the garage.
The 8-door is now down at the college, where I will be removing the roof for replacement.
Here's a shot of the 108 with storm clouds overhead. We have had a good monsoon season so far.

Attached picture 7346823-IMG_1844.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/31/12 04:00 AM

Bolts are drilled out in the manifold and head, thermostat and freeze plugs out and block drained on the 108. Roof rough cut out on the 8-door and the strip above the passenger windshield is fully removed.

I've been searching the net for others and found a dozen so far.
http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25114p15-8-door-67-dodge-van

Re: Got myself an A100! - 09/29/12 05:41 PM

No progress on the A-100 that started this all, but have been busy with the 8 door roof and working to get the 108 running again.
I recovered the doghouse, replaced the freeze plugs, water pump and thermostat housing. Got the WP pulley, spacer, fan, air cleaner and breather all blasted and will paint.
Also ran new wire for the engine sub-harness, just need to add terminals and a resistor for the coolant wire, then connect to the connector.
EDIT: got more done, here's how it looks now.
Still need to loop the heater hose, get a shorter bolt for the intake, mount the choke and return spring/bracket, finish the fuel line and complete the wiring harness. Oh, and replace the noisy alt bearing.

Attached picture 7399463-IMG_1969.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 10/22/12 04:45 PM

The York show where I took the 108 was attended by the press. I got a (small) cover shot!

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1zdvt/R...dracintv.com%2F

Re: Got myself an A100! - 11/19/12 12:15 AM

Well, I got the 108 running barely. The carb is fighting me, I've had it off 3 times, needs to come off again. Also the exhaust leaks worse!
May just redo the gaskets, may clean up and swap on the 2bbl set-up.
Got the Dajiban running again. Had a bad battery and bad connections.
Working on the roof of the 8-door. The rails and inner structure is all prepped, I'll be putting Rust Mort on tomorrow then cleaning it off and priming Tuesday. Then on to removing the other roof.

Attached picture 7467142-IMG_2036.jpg
Posted By: clarendon

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/27/13 12:20 PM

John, I too just got myself an A100 Camper but I haven't seen it yet. Its in Seattle, WA amd I live in Tampa, FL. My son the auto shop owner lives in Pueblo, Co. I want to trailer the camper 1500 miles to him for check-up before I drive it 1700 more miles to home.

He has a trailer nearly identical to yours except that it is an old U-Haul with trays for the tires and wheel tie-downs rather than flatbed like yours. Frame & fenders are identical. I had proposed to him to use 2 X 8s under the wheels to raise the bottom of the camper above the fenders. We can burn self tapping screws into the tray thru the first board and then use deck screws to ad additional ones as needed. His straps adjust for up to 17" pickup tires so we should be able to put 3" of 2 X 8 (2 boards) under the 14" camper wheels.

You did that but I don't quite understand what I see in the photos. Why did you leave on 1 fender? Did you need NO lumber on the side with no fender? Was 2 boards not enough to clear the fender? I plan to modify the trailer before I leave Pueblo; what is the distance from the camper body to the ground (so I can ad enough to clear his wheels)? Did you drive on or winch it?

Thanks much for your help. Don Parker, New member

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/27/13 03:50 PM

Welcome to the site!
Whew, I just went thru another big mess trying this exact thing. I won't go into it here, just explain my A-100 camper deal in hopes it helps you get it done or rethink how it's done.
First, I had to tow only an hour or so. Short tow over pretty smooth roads and little traffic, mostly downhill.
Next, the camper was wider than the trailer. My trailer is ~83" wide. Going by memory, the camper is roughly 90" wide, so it had to hang over one or both sides.
In this case, I had only one removable fender (since redone), so it could only hang over one side. It was butted up to the right fender and hung over the driver side tires with the fender off. I was given the 2 2X12" boards to roll the camper on, providing a little more vertical clearance. It did rock during the tow and rubbed the camper skin on the right fender. There were a couple times the driver side tires rubbed too (dips in the road).
So, for a long distance tow over rougher roads and wanting to keep everything intact, I would suggest going with an equipment trailer or one that has the entire deck over the trailer tires. It will be higher (check total height) and more prone to tipping, but you will avoid the many clearance issues I had and the damage it inflicted. It really is a better solution with less headache.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/27/13 07:15 PM

Thanks for your reply.

IF you had been able to center the camper, would a single 2 X 12 have been enough to clear the tires that had no fender?

I can't see your tie-downs, I assume you strapped down the axles. Did you strap both?

Did you drive the camper on or did you winch it?

Thanks, Don

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/27/13 09:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

IF you had been able to center the camper, would a single 2 X 12 have been enough to clear the tires that had no fender?

I can't see your tie-downs, I assume you strapped down the axles. Did you strap both?

Did you drive the camper on or did you winch it?

Thanks, Don

Centering would have placed the edges of the camper over the trailer tires on both sides. Since the trailer tires are suspended, they move up and down in relation to the trailer and load. The camper also moves up and down unless you really strap it down, compressing the suspension. This tends to really work the straps/chains and where they are attached, plus increase the amount of road shock transmitted to the camper. Not recommended!
Yes, I strapped the camper down by the axles, front and back. Depending on a variety of reasons, I'll use straps or chains. Preferred is chain in front, straps in back. This allows the camper to move on it's suspension, meaning that there must be clearance or rubbing will result.
The pictures at the top of page 7 show the hang over on the left and the touching on the right side. The last picture shows it at home. There is a chain running from the front center of the trailer to the front axle. Again, short, smooth tow. I'd strap it down better over longer distances or rougher roads. It did move up and down, and damaged the edge on this side.
I winched it up, it wasn't and still is not running.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/01/13 02:49 AM

John, thanks for the explanation ontrailer problems. We've given up on the car carrier and will use a 40' dovetail trailer.

When the guy I bought from got info so we could use the car carrier, I asked him for tire size, He found rear tires are 9.5 16.5 and front are 235-75-15. What size are the tires on yours?

First, I wouldn't drive with radials on one end and bias on the other. Second, we got the invoice for the front tires and I'm not going to drive on 11 year old tires regardless of tread remaining. Therefore I need to buy 4 tires and 2 wheels but what size?

Thanks, Don

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/01/13 03:12 PM

Ah yes, the ol' tire size question!
I happened to research and write a little primer on this since it comes up so often. I will mention that the 16.5 wheels are really off the normal path.
Typically, most want 15" wheels so the tire selection is greater and the wheel/tire combo fill out the wheel well better. It also tends to extend the top speed of these vans, which were designed more for urban deliveries than suburban parkways and freeways. You can usually get a 205/75R15 on the front without issue and a 235/75R15 on the back, depending on wheel offset and ride height. I will also suggest vintage-vans.com for a forum where this has been brought up about 20 times!

Wheels
All wheels are 5 lug on 4.5” pattern. All originally came with LEFT hand lug studs and nuts on the left (driver’s) side. These are often broken and changed out for standard right hand parts.
14”X5.5”
Stock tire sizes 6.95/14 7.75/14 modern equivalents=185/75R14 and 205/75R14
Optional 15”X5.5”
Stock tire sizes 8.15/15 Modern equivalent is BETWEEN 205/75R15 and 215/75R15
When comparing old tire sizes, they had an 80 to 90 profile. Modern tires normally have a shorter profile, as indicated by the “75” in the tire sizes listed. The profile is the percentage of tire height to width. A “75” tire is 75 percent as tall as it is wide. This is why there are no modern tires that are an exact match to the original tires. To get an 80 or 90 series tire, you would have to find a classic tire manufacturer that carried outdated bias ply tires. They would look correct, but be less useful for driving.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/06/13 01:51 PM

I'm going to have to buy 2 wheels on which to mount the 235/75R15 on the rear to replace the 16.5s. I understand 5 X 4.5 hole pattern, but what is the appropriate rim width on the 15" wheel?

What is a good source for wheels?

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/06/13 11:35 PM

Duuuuummmb me. You gave it to me. 5.5" as in 15 5.5.

Thanks, Don

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/18/13 04:05 PM

Thanks to Rumblon, I have another option on the mirrors. He sent me a pair of NOS stalks that were tagged as 68-72. That covers A and B vans, so it seemed strange. Anyway he sent them to me and here are some pics next to the 66 door. Note that the original 66 had 3 holes, these have 4. No big deal, but the face that sits against the door does have a different curve, more like a B van.

Attached picture 7818475-rmir1.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 08/18/13 04:06 PM

That curve. The 69 I have is the same in the door area.

Attached picture 7818478-rmir2.jpg

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/26/15 06:41 PM

update

body

doors

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/08/15 08:53 PM

That's the 66, the one that started this all.
Rear doors are being worked, the rest is waiting for space at the paint shop.
Still undecided on engine. small block or go for it and swap in a BB.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 03/31/15 07:08 AM

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Re: Got myself an A100! - 05/08/15 06:39 PM

Since the plans for the painter fell through, I had to prime the body to protect it.
It will be put aside for now, I'm going to concentrate on getting my 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe up and running for now.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 01/14/16 08:21 PM

Weel, nothing to update, not enough money and winter is not helping to work on them. I did see that the 108 is on the front page of MATS, which is nice.

Re: Got myself an A100! - 02/06/16 06:20 AM

That is still progress. Nice!
© 2024 Moparts Forums