Thanks CMG!
I've been stripping the parts truck down. I have almost all the little stuff I was missing from the van. Only some cargo door parts and the pins for the seats (can be found in boat supply places, I'm told). Oh, and a nice rear bumper. I found a NAPA number for door locks and ignition switch, so I'll check that out now that I have an almost complete set...
The wiring on the PU is tired and hacked too, so there will be some work there. I don't think I'll have to resort to a full harness replacement.
There was no weight in the back (I'm still not sure the PUs had it), and the gas tank is attached different. 2 straps front to back, rather than the van single strap side-to-side.
Still waiting on the manual I ordered, hoping it can guide removing the front doghouse on both. The wiring and some controls go through this, so I'll have to strip it down more first. Practice on the PU, do the van later before paint, since this will render it a push only situation.
The parts PU has the u bolts, front door lock cylinders, nice pie pans, a front bumper with guards that is only slightly tweaked, good front lenses, a very nice steering wheel and unhacked column and TS switch, nice seats, a great battery box with cables, very nice inside mirror with screws, and a different design heater control, although the assembly looks the same. See the interior pictures for the differences.
I will probably clean, rebuild and paint stuff like the front axle assembly, steering column, cluster, transmission and other stuff from this one and keep the van running for now. Swap out the finished parts after paint. The doghouse will be mostly from the van, with the front section from the PU. I'll probably pull the PU springs and remove leaves to drop it a bit more too when installed in the van.
The PU has the auto trans and all the related items, plus an added trans cooler. I will have to get a stall converter and I might go with a weighted flexplate so the converter can be neutral.
The 66 cluster has a mechanical Oil pressure gauge, the 68 is electric. I'll use the electric to avoid the 7 foot line!
I'm amazed by the condition of the PU parts. It must have sat in a carport or garage a lot. No rust or bad sunbaking, even the crash pad and seats are decent! I may haul the carcass to MATS or Spring Fling in case anyone wants nice sheetmetal. Let me know if any of you need floor sections, a nose or other stuff (Ran needs a door ) and I'll try to firm up plans on anyone needing sheetmetal. Aside from the hacking for the van conversion, the engine being open too long and the rear axle removal, the rest of the stuff is in good shape. I also have 3 15" wheels with the hubcap bumps on the outside.
It's going to be interesting to pull the engine and trans up on the trailer without a rear axle, but I think I have a plan.
I'll also probably fab up a pair of wheeled dollys to bolt in in place of the springs since you can't really support the van on the frame rails. That way I can swap out the front and rear axles and prep/paint the underside of the van.
Nicksgarage is keeping an eye out for me on some other parts I didn't get with this pair, and a big thanks goes out to him for his help.

After this it's back to bodywork 101. I'm not comfortable beating out dents, but it needs to be done and I'm learning. Maybe by the time I'm done, I can be good enough to tackle the 40!

P.S. Ran, do you have any pictures of yours? Motivation is strong at this point, but I may need some soon!

Last edited by RodStRace; 01/05/10 01:01 PM.