I'm hearing rumbling about a huge transportation bill to get us out of the financial mess the shutdown has partially created.
I worked in public works for 30 years (airports roads and bridges) and it is no surprise the nations infrastructure is neglected. Anytime parasitic systems are added to funding revenue (fuel tax on cars and planes, ticket tax, bridge tolls etc. often times are siphoned into parking lots, buses, trolleys, light rail, walk and bike ways, etc) the system generating the revenue becomes under served. The kind of money being talked about is a "huge shot in the arm" of our hobbled economy, yet while sounding good, will not result in much shovel work. Much will be directed to the activities to get it to construction with planning, environmental, right of way acquisition, design, bidding, and finally construction. These type activities lose a lot of value to provide photo ops, press reports and profits every step of the way prior to the public getting little in return. I cannot understand budgeting and paying for things like re-paving that have a shorter life than the bonds and payment providing the construction funds, especially since the transportation system (and other funding mechanisims as waterand waste water bills, drainage and lighting assements) already paid for their maintenance needs. There needs to be more thought put into how to move forward. I think it's a great time for the public and taxpayer to be educated the things thay ask for like sidewalks and bike lanes, and a plethora of school and social programs need to have their own funding sources. There are experts that need to be consulted and listened to before putting into motion any substantial public investment to get us out of the situation we find ourselves. There are many cracks that need to be looked into every time recommendations are made prior to implementation.
This was not written with a political slant, rather a view of the sad state of the public's resources of money and Infrastructure.