I feel like I'm qualified properly respond to this since I have a 9 second 1962 street car, and a 2016 scat pack challenger (measly 485hp). I don’t know how many street “blasts” or ¼ mile runs I have in my life, but I’m sure enough to qualify that I don’t “suck” as a driver.

That being said… the 485hp on regular street tires with the traction control off will get you in trouble in a hurry. I can’t imagine what 707hp or more is like in the same car. You have to be really careful with the car even if you know what you’re doing… You’re kidding yourself if you think the 9 second car on caltracs, 275 drag radials, and drag shocks is harder to drive then 707hp on 275 rock hard street tires, with suspension setup to take corners.

This morning I got up for work, hit the remote start button to warm it up. It fired up with a sweet sounding “whoummmm”… then the idle came down and it quieted back up. Finished getting my coffee and walked outside. Car sensed I had the keys in my pocket, and unlocked the door as soon as I touched the door handle. Hopped in it, and the heated steering wheel and seats were nice and warm. Backed out through the snow and ice with no problems, and took off to work. Wife called, and I picked it up through the hands free phone without taking my hands off the wheel. Got off the phone with her, and then my buddy text me which the car read to me through the speakers. I then responded through the built in microphone, again without taking my hands off the wheel. Then a kick ass song came on the radio, which I turned up (again without taking my hands off the wheel) jammed with my Alpine 9 speaker system as I pulled into work. Romped on the throttle through the s-turns a bit, making a bunch of noise when the computer controlled electric cutouts in the exhaust opened up. Sliding around the corner, the traction control turned on when it started getting loose and calmed things down.

Pulled into the parking space, and walked in smiling thinking about my warranty.

That is the $40~50k experience that a 11.90 340 duster doesn’t have… but with the same timeslip…

For everything these cars lack in drag race ET potential, they certainly make up in other areas. Top speed on my challenger is around 175-180mph. No WAY is my ’62 going to touch that. It’s been 142mph at the track, and it’s about out of gear. I have NO fear to drive the challenger in rain/snow, but I’d be scared to death to get caught in the rain on a warm summer day with the 275 pro’s on my ’62. They are just not the same thing…these cars are built to be driven all year round, and last for a long time while being abused. I know FOR SURE, I can’t say the same thing for my 9 second muscle…