Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rick,

Which k members had clearance issues, particularly E-bodies.

AL

I tried A, B, E. All hit. But the fix was a cinch and they say all henceforth will be fixed.

Rick

Rick:

That really speaks volumes of how little Research and Development has been put into this ABORTION.

Since you avoided my question Rick, you probably have no clue that welding on steering components is a big No-No. So, here it is, in black and white and in all places: the Borgeson site. The last sentence of the first paragraph sums it up perfectly.

First paragraph.

As far as clearance: It was minor, and depends on the K-member stamping. I can see why they didn't catch it. No biggie.

As far as welding: Agreed. I, too, would MUCH rather have a one-pc. cast housing. However, with the quantities that they'd sell (in Mopar version), that would make it a non-starter. These guys have been welding cast steel for decades and have it down to a science -- I witnessed their procedure. The welds appear to be way stronger than necessary.

I'm gonna try to get a bare housing (w/welds) and try some destructive tests. If this happens, it will be unscientific -- I'll smash with hammer, press, etc. If the casting breaks before the welds, I'll call it good.

I haven't read any state statutes (NY has none), but I'd be willing to bet that the intent is to discourage / prevent linkage welding. Many Mopars have, OEM, welds in the column, K-member mount, etc.

If you are referring to the coupler sleeve weld, it is also press fit and could easily be pinned, thru-screwed, etc. Since is is only used with P.S., there's little stress on it anyway.

Rick