Quote:

Quote:

That is one of the reasons that I don't even attend NHRA National events anymore. I was at every Indy from 1967 through 1992, and you could see this coming.

It isn't the sport I grew to love in the sixties.

The difference is that normal, everyday working folk sold their souls to race back then. Now it's just a matter of who the oil company, beer company, car manufacturer or oil sheik picks to run their junk.

I was in a meeting when Eddie Hills name was brought up as a possible shoe for the Mopar topfuel team. He was denied that chance because they didn't like his beard and thought Tommy Johnson Jr looked more "GQ" and presentable. It's not about racing people, it's about marketing and big money. Grass roots drag racing like Steve remembers has been dead for a long time in the NHRA.

I was going to attend the US Nats, but decided to watch the heads-up race at Milan. I miss not seeing the Hemi car shootout, but the racing at Milan was great and cost a LOT less money.

that pretty much summed it up, we are our own worst enimies. remember when the driver actually worked on and tuned the cars? then we wanted sponsor money, and got it. that was the beginning of the end of real racing. now it's all a big money dog and pony show. I don't blame force if he took the dive. it's his team car thats why he gets the big bucks.