Got about half of the lifters disassembled - wow were they stuck - no 'springiness' to the plunger, but after some brake cleaner/internal cleaning/working them back-n-forth they have come apart. Made a quick trip to Harbor Freight and picked up an ultrasonic cleaner, filled it with a mix of purple power and water, dropped in all the bits, gave them a final cleaning with brake cleaner, and reassembly with fresh oil, and now the first few have their 'boing' back and feel good.

Meanwhile, taking full advantage of the holidays online sales and have a bunch of the reassembly hardware coming, including a 'longer' Wix 51515 oil filter, and I'll be using Lucas Classic and Hot Rod (high zinc) Conventional 10W40 oil at least for the first few thousand miles. I know the cam doesn't 'need' the high zinc, but with all the fresh internals I figure it won't hurt, then at the first oil change I'll go with regular off-the-shelf conventional 10W40.

I'm also going to try a thermostat with a rubber gasket vs a paper one - I figure if these work other engines it should work for mine - the OD and ratings are all the same so why not. This is the stat I'm gonna try -

[Linked Image]

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/plus/murray-plus-180-degree-thermostat/mcs1/4698?q=thermostat+Flange+Diameter+%28in%29%3A+2-1%2F8+Inch+Gasket+Material%3A+Rubber&pos=1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my early morning 'office' for the next several days -

[Linked Image]

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 12/16/22 02:30 PM.

71 Demon (project): 318, A-833od, 8-3/4, 3.23's
14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Kilroy" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
07 Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4 "Big Mack": 5.9 6BT, G56 'Toy Hauler'
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"