Quote:

Quote:

two separate people have told me that the welds should not run the whole length of the subframe connector it should be 2 Inches of weld then a two inch space of no weld. Apparently when people now seam weld race cars they do this also and it is better than a solid weld. What do people think ?

It may be "better" because it's (marginally) lighter....or causes less distortion....or because it's strong enough....who knows. One thing is for sure though....for a given size (cross sectional area) stitch welds are NOT stronger than full welds. BTW, aren't you worried about exhaust fumes?

-jeff

I second what rank said. In my opinion, on this type of the job stitch welding first and the then filling that in (if desired) would better than welding it solidly in a single continuous pass. The reason is that it somewhat controls heat inducted distortion. On sheet metal, I will usually use a bunch of small tack welds on the whole area first for that reason. The lighter sheet metal with less mass tends to heat up quicker and thus expand or distort more than a heavier piece does.