Ok... I replaced my pickup coil, correctly gapped etc. I put the rotor back on, cap back on, and gave it a crank. Nada, not even a sputter of nothin. So, just on the off chance that I'm crazy, I grabbed my $2.99 Chinese spark tester and pulled #1 plug wire and stuck that in between the plug and the wire. Cranked again, no spark just as I figured.
I went ahead and left the key in run position, and pulled the harness to the orange box, checked voltage and got 11.5ish at the two pins that are supposed to have juice.
I decided to take a gamble and grabbed a 2nd orange box out of a crate. I pulled the harness (mine is mounted under the battery tray) out enough to get it plugged in. I hung it on the j-bolt for my battery hold down for a ground.
Car fired right up before I could let go of the key at about second 1.3 of cranking... with the spark tester still on #1 and all.
I have proper voltage on the ECU, at the coil, and at the pickup with the old orange box, yet no spark. I think I am going to just buy ECUs at frickin shucks from now on! This box is about 18 months old, but has less than 200 miles on it.