TKO's are notoriously hard and notchy to shift until you've got it broken in. As you have seen, it has loosened up.
As far as power shifting 2nd to 3rd, the trick is re-learning how to shift a 5 speed. When power shifting a 4 speed from 2nd to 3rd, you have to push the lever up, over and up again. If you use that technique on the TKO you will have the same results everytime that you experienced. The gates on the TKO are so close together that you literally have to re-train yourself. Next time you are driving it, use the palm of your hand and simply slam the handle straight forward out of 2nd and it will automatically find 3rd on it's own. I use this method on my mustang with a TKO and the only time I miss the shift is when my hand is faster than my feet.

As for overshifting it, what color is the shift tower on yours? I understand that it is not our transmission kit but if you are using the red Tremec shift tower, I have an adjustable shift stop setup that will prevent this. Let me know if you are interested.

Richard
Tech Support