Quote:

My kit is from Classic 5. I also had to modify my E Body tunnel where the upper rear pass side of the trans case is. I probably had to dimple the sheet metal about 1" in several spots just to get the trans high enough for the new cross member to go under it. When I was done the tail shaft was several inches lower that my rear pinion yoke. Part of this may be due to the fact that my body ride height is several inches lower than stock. I had some driveline vibration and after some trial and error I eliminated all or most of it by shimming my pinion angle about 3-4 degrees down.

I've been considering doing the swap on my '70 Dart with a SB. I recently had the opportunity at the Spring Fling to chat at length with Scott Lindquist and one of the tech guys (I forget his name)from Classic 5 speed about a new kit they are developing for the A-bodies. They are taking a really different approach. They have just accepted the fact that it is impossible to install a TKO in an A-body without a lot of cutting so they have decided to go all the way. The kit will require you to cut out the upper center section of the T-bar x-member and a surrounding area of floor. The kit will include a new, permanently mounted, upper x-member to tie into the ends of the T-bar x-member and a new section of floor. It will also, of course, have a new bolt in lower trans x-member. By going this route they will be able to use unmodified TKO transmissions, avoiding the complicated redesign and machining that they and Keisler have employed in previous applications. They also claim that by avoiding the machine work on the trannies and using a stock TKO 500 or 600 they can knock about $700 off the price of the kits! I've been staying in touch with them by e-mail and they say they should have the first kits for sale around the end of the month. I'm very interested, but after reading this thread I will have some very pointed questions for them about hydraulic T/O bearings, etc. before I buy. Probably won't be much of an issue though, as my motor only makes about 350 ft/lbs of torque and rarely sees over 6000 rpm.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.